Analogue to digital ...................... how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I'm starting up a small business and have moved into an old workshop.
Only one phone socket works but only with old analogue phones.
Can I convert what is obviously an analogue line to a line that I can use digital phones on?
Also, would it have to be digital in order for a wireless broadband router to work? I'm thinking yes!
Many thanks in advance,

Slime.

Sponsored Links
I was told by the previous occupant that the phone line is analogue and when I connect a digital phone to the line, it won't work.
I'm assuming that the line must somehow be converted to digital.
I'm not sure what ISDN is, I'm sorry.

Slime.

The data for broadband internet access is sent along analogue telephone lines using a range of frequencies much higher than the frequencies used for speech.

The analogue phone line will support your telephone if it is a single telephone line. And a second number if you have an internet phone that works via the router using internet connection.

Only if you are going to use a digital private telephone system with several telephone numbers or lines will you need a digital phone line. In effect at the BT exchange several lines are digitally combined onto a single pair of wires and transmitted as digital signals. The private exchange converts the digital signals back into speech and same in the return direction.

Sponsored Links
You need to be clear what you mean by a 'digital phone'. I've known many people who describe a push-button phone as 'digital' whereas they are in fact, analogue.
Tell us what type/model phone you are referring to and we will be better placed to advise.

you're trying to use system /pbx phones on an analogue phone line, this will not work because you need the system itself to go with the phones and the analogue lines would be fed into that.

you need to buy a regular phone or have the full pbx system installed by someone.

It's a Gigaset AS185 Cordless Phone.
However, he says hanging his head in shame, I've sorted out the problem.
It turns out that it came with a faulty cable!
I swapped the phone cable with the one on the working analogue phone ................... and BINGO, it's working.
Thanks for all your help and apologies for being such a numpty.

Slime.

I was told by the previous occupant that the phone line is analogue and when I connect a digital phone to the line, it won't work.
ISDN stands for "integrated services digital network", it comes in two varieties "basic rate" and "primary rate". Primary rate is a product for customers with large numbers of lines and is basically irrelevent to home or small buisness users.

Basic rate ISDN provides two 64kbps digital channels that can be used either for voice calls or digital data calls. An ISDN line can also have multiple phone numbers (and there are two different types MSN and DDI depending on what equipment you have).

You can get ISDN phones but they are relatively uncommon and I doubt they are what you have. Normally ISDN is used to connect multi-line PBX (private office phone system) systems to the phone network, it is also sometimes for data transmission but less-so nowadays.

Most phone line based "broadband" services have to be taken with an analogue phone line. AIUI "dry"ADSL (using a pair that isn't used for a phone line at all) exists in theory but seems to be rare in practice and there are also some more expensive products like SDSL that use dedicated lines. There was talk in the early days of ADSL of doing an ISDN+ADSL combination but afaict such services were never introduced in the UK.

As cajar says it sounds like what you have is a digital phone designed to go with a PBX system. Such phones can only be used with a compatible PBX system, they CANNOT be used on lines direct from phone companies.

If there is only going to be one of you then a PBX system probablly won't be worthwhile. If you really need a multi-line phone than an ISDN phone may be an option but the cost will be substantial (IIRC an ISDN line costs just over twice what an analogue line costs and you probablly still need the analogue line as well so you can have your broadband service on it). VOIP may be an option too though reliability can be a concern.

Note: this post was written before I had seen slime's most recent post.

Oh plugwash...

A beautufully crafted and informative response that obviously took over half an hour to compose! You deserve a "Thanks"... :D

I expect your line is likely a standard PSTN line, and your previous user is confused. Or, perhaps they had an ISDN line and used it in point to multi-point mode with some digital phones. It could also be an old (most now forceably upgraded) home or business highway line. A photo of your main socket would determine the service.

ISDN stands for "integrated services digital network", it comes in two varieties "basic rate" and "primary rate". Primary rate is a product for customers with large numbers of lines and is basically irrelevent to home or small buisness users.

Basic rate ISDN provides two 64kbps digital channels that can be used either for voice calls or digital data calls. An ISDN line can also have multiple phone numbers (and there are two different types MSN and DDI depending on what equipment you have).

You can get ISDN phones but they are relatively uncommon and I doubt they are what you have. Normally ISDN is used to connect multi-line PBX (private office phone system) systems to the phone network, it is also sometimes for data transmission but less-so nowadays.

Most phone line based "broadband" services have to be taken with an analogue phone line. AIUI "dry"ADSL (using a pair that isn't used for a phone line at all) exists in theory but seems to be rare in practice and there are also some more expensive products like SDSL that use dedicated lines. There was talk in the early days of ADSL of doing an ISDN+ADSL combination but afaict such services were never introduced in the UK.

As cajar says it sounds like what you have is a digital phone designed to go with a PBX system. Such phones can only be used with a compatible PBX system, they CANNOT be used on lines direct from phone companies.

If there is only going to be one of you then a PBX system probablly won't be worthwhile. If you really need a multi-line phone than an ISDN phone may be an option but the cost will be substantial (IIRC an ISDN line costs just over twice what an analogue line costs and you probablly still need the analogue line as well so you can have your broadband service on it). VOIP may be an option too though reliability can be a concern.

Note: this post was written before I had seen slime's most recent post.

To add to this:

ISDN PRI (ISDN30e) lines can offer upto 30 channels of speech, "30 lines", and are typically provided over a fiber connection, although can be provided over copper. You only pay for the channels you want, from a minimum of 8, upto the 30.

ISDN BRI (ISDN 2e) lines offer a fixed 2 channels of speech, "2 lines", and are provided over a standard twisted pair copper line. With point to point DDI lines, you can have upto 4 lines grouped (so 4 NTE8's on your wall), providing you with upto 8 channels of speech, all grouped to a single numbering provision, call hunting across the 8 channels. Above 8 channels, you are forced to use ISDN30e.

Point to Point DDI lines are used with phone systems (PBX), allowing different incoming DDI numbers to ring different extensions/extension groups, auto attendants (press 1 for sales, 2 for this, 3 for that).

ISDN lines can utilise call DEFLECTION (not call diversion) which allows the telephone system to signal to the exchange to deflect certain/all calls, based on different timings and situations, re-routing incoming calls to an external number, without taking up incoming lines.

AIUI "dry"ADSL (using a pair that isn't used for a phone line at all) exists in theory but seems to be rare in practice
It's called MPF (metallic path facility) and not many ISPs offer it. One I do know of is Gradwell.
These days it would make even more sense to offer FTTC (VDSL2) as that would save the copper form the FTTC cabinet back to the exchange !

There was talk in the early days of ADSL of doing an ISDN+ADSL combination but afaict such services were never introduced in the UK.
I had it first hand from a BT bod that they weren't doing it as it's not a standard - there is overlap between the spectrum used by ADSL and that needed for the ISDN. Where I worked back then, we had an ISDN2 line specifically as a backup to some leased lines - but IIRC we had to put in an analogue line (or not cancel one) to put ADSL on when it eventually arrived.

There was talk in the early days of ADSL of doing an ISDN+ADSL combination but afaict such services were never introduced in the UK.
I had it first hand from a BT bod that they weren't doing it as it's not a standard - there is overlap between the spectrum used by ADSL and that needed for the ISDN.

ADSL over ISDN is standard in Germany, where ISDN lines have been much more widely used. However it's difficult/expensive/impossible to provision for ADSL over both analogue and ISDN lines in the same area, so UK chose ADSL over analogue, Germany chose ADSL over ISDN.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back