Andgle bead for drylined wall, no skimming!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've done a fair bit of dryling in the past but never an external corner.
I'm thinking about drylining my chimney breast so I can run the cables from the TV behind it, this would involve covering 2 external angles, can you put beading behind the plasterboard which would then stick out on the corner to protect it from knocks etc.

I've seen beading in B&Q etc, but always assumed that you had to skim the surface afterwards. Can you use beading without skimming?

Sponsored Links
You need plasterboard angle beads, which are nailed on, then covered with easi fill jointing compound

can you put beading behind the plasterboard which would then stick out on the corner to protect it from knocks etc.

I would suspect that the external corner will be much stronger with the thin coat bead over the top.

I am suspecting the bead you have seen is one for thick coat(s) of plaster (e.g. Float & Set) that's about 12mm deep.
The thin coat beads (normally used over the top of plaster board) are more like 3mm deep.

Sponsored Links
I take you can get them anywhere?

Wickes or B&Q are fine.
Have a quick search on the net too to see who's cheaper.

Personally end up having to get the 2.4m lengths (rather than 3m) as can't get them in the car!
If you need a few, they are much cheaper in 10s.

Pros may advise if any of the builders merchants are better........

Angle beads are peanuts so you're better off going to wherever is nearer unless you are buying 10 + lengths

except for homebase the robbing dogs, their bead are normally over twice the price sop stay away!

you can buy paper tape type bead that has 2 metal strips embedded that folds down the middle, made specifically for taping and jointing external angles, won't be quite as hard wearing as board bead but might be worth looking into.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1253136950549&isSearch=true

Thanks for your help!
I tried B&Q but they didn't have them, they did have the tape with the metal strips though.
In the end I bought a some MDF for the front of the chimney, I'll still use plasterboard on the sides, but the MDF should hold up a bit better on the edges.

:)

I tried B&Q but they didn't have them, they did have the tape with the metal strips though.

Was it a small store? Some of them are much larger with more building products - and choice.

In the end I bought a some MDF for the front of the chimney, I'll still use plasterboard on the sides, but the MDF should hold up a bit better on the edges.

If there is wet plaster/water to be applied, I would reconsider with the MDF. I don't think it responds well to water. Swells and breaks up.

I think you mentioned a filler you planned to use. Suppose it may be ok and not soak the MDF?

As you are using plasterboard on the sides, I personally would have gone for the same on the front, got the two corner beads and skimmed. A much stronger, neater job.

(a pro could skim for you, if not confident - prob wouldn't be much)

I'd agree with Newbee,,,, don't use MDF. Use plasterboard all round, then you can use the corner beads/get it skimmed,,, and you 'll have a much stronger/better job.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back