Angela Rayner

Sponsored Links
ahhh so still just other people's taxes that excite you. righto

Sponsored Links
As a married couple - they cannot have 2 homes when it comes to tax due on disposal. You can easily forgive her for believing otherwise. But no amount of "modern living" changes that.
Nonsense.
As s. 222(6) indicates that a married couple or civil partners can have only one residence or main residence ‘so long as living together’, it follows that this ceases to apply when they no longer live together.
https://library.croneri.co.uk/cch_uk/btr/546-000#:~:text=As s.,they no longer live together.

The argument that coming clean is an acknowledgement of a "debt" is utterly ridiculous.
No-one suggested it was.

So she is free to apologise without risk. of course
If she's done nothing wrong, she has nothing to apologise for.

It was her birthday today

Quite like her tbh ;)

she was on the radio this morning and she made a good point tbh

Which was basically put up or shut up with ref to this capital gains caper she has disclosed the relevant info / paper work / advice she received to plod and inland rev

So since AR wasn't living with her then husband at the relevant times, there is no question of election, and therefore no CGT. Her electoral address is consistent with this.

So, here is another example of what we were discussing on the other thead. Although I like Angela Rayner, and do not want to see this issue damage the Labour party's chances in the upcoming election, I am posting the following factual information to help further inform the debate.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...d-spouses-2022#what-counts-as-living-together

3. What counts as ‘living together’

You and your spouse or civil partner are treated as living together unless you’re separated:

under a court order

by a formal Deed of Separation executed under seal (in Scotland a deed should be witnessed)

in such circumstances that the separation is likely to be permanent

In each case the marriage or civil partnership must have broken down. If the marriage or civil partnership has not broken down but the 2 of you do not live in the same house, you’re still treated as living together for Capital Gains Tax purposes.

Thanks for that link. So, she bought in 2007 and sold in 2015. That link says that anyone getting a discount on a rtb house that sells it within ten years must offer it back to the local authority or another social landlord. I wonder whether she did?

Local authority's right of first refusal
"Tenants who purchase a property under the right to buy on or after 18 January 2005, and who sell the property within ten years of purchase, must first offer the property to the local authority or another social landlord in the area before putting the property on the open market.[9] This is known as the right of first refusal".
We've established that there is no refund under the RTB, because that expires after 5 years, and AR owned the house for 8 years.
On the basis of the LA or an association having the first refusal, perhaps they did, and they refused to buy it at market price, which is what is required.
Hardly surprising as the LA or association could probably build a modern house for less than the market price.

I've never heard of any LA or association taking up the right of first refusal.

nevermind about Angela Raynor, theres something more interesting in town:

John Curtice says: "theres a 99% chance Labour will form the next government"

note: personally I dont agree with calculating seat number percentages from polls

So, here is another example of what we were discussing on the other thead. Although I like Angela Rayner, and do not want to see this issue damage the Labour party's chances in the upcoming election, I am posting the following factual information to help further inform the debate.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...d-spouses-2022#what-counts-as-living-together
Thanks for that, It might be useful to someone.
In the case of AR, I'm sure her accountant and the tax office is aware of the criteria, and what, if any CGT is due or was paid, and what exemptions were due.
A trawling of the relevant regulations presented on a social media forum is not going to resolve the issue, because we don't know the relevant details of that situation.

I don't think this is relevant to the police reassessing her compliance with electoral law,, which is the basis for their reassessing, as I understand it.

The property was subject to capital gains tax when she sold it. Her argument that it was her "home" is evidence that she did not get proper advice or did not give enough information for her expert to advise her.

Sponsored Links
Back