Another Hive problem (moved)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK thanks.

If both heating and hot water are set to be permanently 'on' at the programmer near the hot water cylinder then that is controlling the heating of the water, not the room thermostat. Hot water cylinders don't cause the boiler to fire often, because once they are heated and unless you are using a lot of hot water, they stay hot for hours on end. With your present set up, because the Salus is a combined programmer and and thermostat, the central heating needs to be left permanently 'on' at the programmer near the cylinder, otherwise it would override the Salus.

The existing programmer looks like a Siemens RWB9 (aka Landis and Staefa)

In which case the wiring terminals will be as below...

View attachment 135229

....and the Hive Dual Channel version is exactly the same. Lucky you, they are a straight swap :)

View attachment 135230

Once the Hive is installed, look at the wiring at the Salus receiver. Trace the cable from the Salus back to its origin and note where each of the wires are connected, and remove the entire cable. Then join together with a wire link, the terminals where the wires that went to the Salus 'NO' and 'COM' terminals were connected. Don't worry about any other connections, they are only to provide power to the Salus and can be disconnected. If you need any further help with this bit, post back a photo of the wires connected to the Salus.

No need to touch any of the wires at the boiler.

Hi Stem,
I think i have the same issue with my boiler.
I just wired in my hive system and it all works well except I can’t get the heating to turn off without switching on the hot water. I didnt realise they had actually designed boilers that have hot water always active, but as you say they dont need to fire up that often for water anyway.
So anyway when i removed the old control panel i noticed it was misisng CH off, but had the other 5 wires required for hive.
Am i right in thinking that if i loop the CH off (which is currently blank) to the HW on, it will effectively perform the task of turning off the heating anyway?
Thanks,
George
P.s it is not the same boiler as mentioned in this article. I can give more details if required

Sponsored Links
Thanks for moving my post! Sorry im new to the forum and didnt realise.
As a side note, this problem is not exclusive to Hive, i had the same issue on the incumbent control panel which hive has replaced, with the same work around.
Its just annoying because i have to remember a specific order of what needs to be on and off in order to function properly

Most systems just use terminals N, L, 3, 4. Some also use 1, but 2 is almost never used (i have probably seen it used twice in 1,000 or so systems). It depends upon the components associated with your system.

Your existing programmer contains just two switches 'on' and 'off' for heating and 'on' and 'off' for hot water. The Hive is exactly the same, you are swapping like for like electrically speaking. So, if there isn't a wire in 2 now you don't need it.

Hi Stem,
Thanks for your reply.
The problem is as i explained earlier when i switch the heating to off it doesnt actually turn off, it stays on constantly.
So i think if i create a loop wire from Heating Off (2), to hot water on (3), it will trigger the hot water on and therefore turn the heating off when i ask for heating to be turned off.
What do you think?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
your hive does not need any links, you have wired something incorrectly or have a faulty component

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back