another Ikea transformer question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a bridge rectifier is a transformer because it transforms AC to DC!
Since the war of the currents was fought over DC verses AC I am sure Nikola Tesla would be turning in his grave to think anything other than a inductive coupling device would be electrically considered as a transformer it does not really matter if we call the device a switched mode power supply or simply a power supply the method used to reduce and regulate the output does not really matter could be a simple resistor although it would get rather hot but I would agree to call a device a transformer when it contains rectifiers and other semi-conductors with capacitors and inductances is some what miss leading.

It's like calling a command line interface a device operating system although it may operate the device so would the modern windows indicator mouse and pointer it seems we have a whole load of poor descriptions.

QSL

Sponsored Links
Think you have missed the point. English and Electrical terminology are not the same thing.

When I replace a fuse it rectifies the fault but one would not say it rectifies.

It is the same with the word transform we may transform the supply to being DC from AC so in English the device would be a transformer but with electric we call it as you say a rectifier.

So a unit to rectify the supply feed it into capacitors then using semi conductors turn it into AC again at a high frequency then transform it to a lower voltage take a sample of that voltage and use it to alter the mark/space ratio of the semi conductors that make the DC into AC could hardly be called a transformer but that's the label found an many of them. They do transform a low frequency low voltage to a high frequency extra low voltage.

The lamp transforms electric power into light power so is that also a transformer?

It is not only electrics as I have pointed out because the CLI was on old computers the same as DOS the two have got mixed up.

Even simple words like lamp are miss used if we look at history on the wall of the house you would have a spigot or shelf onto which you placed the lamp, inside the lamp you would have a wick or a mantel which were latter replaced with a bulbous device we called a bulb, as we progressed we also got tubes and other shapes however the whole unit is still called a lamp. If you go to an auto electrician and ask for a head lamp he will give you the glass and reflector minus the bulb.

However some people seem to think it's funny to say a bulb goes in the ground or post pictures of cartoon characters.

It was correct to point out the power supply or inverter is not a simple transformer.

They are both 60VA and plenty for your purposes. FFS its a measly £5 transformer/switched mode power supply/whhatever.
You arent replacing a part on a Rolls Royce jet engine. Just go and buy one, it'll be fine.
True, just trying to be clear on spec/requirements, which I think I now am - thanks all
higher than 1.66Amps on the 12V output is OK, make sure min output is at least the same as the intended bulb (20W)
-- Part of the problem is many of these sites (even the manufacturer's own sometimes) don't fully list the spec (AC or DC output, output Amps, min draw etc)

where did you read that. I've never had problems with Halolite transformers.
I'd say they were much more reliable than Ikea ones, apparently :mrgreen:
here for example http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/electrical-tools-products/13015-halolite-12v-trannies.html
seen others but can't find the links now

Sponsored Links
Think you have missed the point. English and Electrical terminology are not the same thing.
Furthermore even within the world of people working with electrical stuff there are various many subgroups and their terminology is not the same. Terms evolve with the equipment they describe. Often the technology behind an item changes, but the name is kept. This sometimes leads to different groups using the same term for different things, because they saw the evolution differently.

I presume in the theatre industry the lamp was only part of the overall spotlight, so when an electrical replacement for that part was introduced it was natural to also call it a lamp. People who spent their apprenticeships in the theatre industry presumably had that industries terminology drummed in to them until they believed everything else was wrong.

Similarly in the lighting supply industry it presumably made sense to keep using the name "transformer" as the technology changed from simple magnetics to power electronics, in the electronics world on the other hand the transformer was always only one component of the power supply, the fact that the power supply topology changed didn't change that fact that the transformer was only one part of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back