another loft and house condensation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
read with interest the condensation threads/stickys

i had seen (in a recent cold night) a lot of moisture dripping from the felt in the loft (like others noticed it when got the xmas decorations down).

not a huge surprise as the house gets a lot of window condensation in the winter (despite recent doubleglazing, tho maybe this just helps to trap the warm air).

but specific to my query on the loft

1) no pipework up there as have a mains pressure hw tank and mains pressure cw throughout

2) both upstairs ensuites have a small number (3) of downlighters (the large bulb variety)

3) i had pulled back the loft insulation a little from the soffit area the other year, as they seemed to be blocking it

4) i checked last night that the fans were connected to some kind of ducting in the loft - they are, but not very securely

On the latter point, i can't imagine a lot of moisture would escape given the ducting is not taped directly to the extractor fan, although it is a reasonably snug fit.

However, i do wonder if it matters that the length of the ducting runs all the way from the extractors (which are just about equidistant from the front/back sides of the house). This must be some 15 feet of ducting before reaching the soffits.

Am yet to check that soffit end of the ducting is actually ejecting the warm air to the outside and not just some far corner of the loft!

But this all said and done, as mentioned, i know the house carries a lot of moisture due to having the wipe down the windows every morning in the winter, despite them being decent double glazing. So this moisture naturally is finding its way in to the loft also.

Grateful for any further tips. Washing is dried outside or using a tumble dryer in the garage. Cooking is done with the extractor on, but we do have 3 small children and they generate a lot of dampness i can tell you!

One last point, the entire house has been painted with that paint that can be wiped down (from pen, crayon, etc). This is water resistant right so does that increase the likelihood moisture will cling to the windows / go to the loft??

m.c.

Sponsored Links
But this all said and done, as mentioned, i know the house carries a lot of moisture due to having the wipe down the windows every morning in the winter, despite them being decent double glazing. So this moisture naturally is finding its way in to the loft also.

This has got to be the first issue that needs resolving. So what do you think is causing your windows to be wet? Find the answer to that and you are half way there.

I had the same issue and it was principally cause by people having showers or baths. Our youngish kids would have baths but the door would be left open and we never opened the window as the bathroom was never steamy as the steam had already escaped to the rest of the house. The wife and I would have showers and open the window afterwards but for not long enough.

Just fixing those two issues has cured our wet windows which must help with the amount of moisture going into the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back