Another question about damp.....

Insurance claim for flood damage, even if they refuse you will have had a report.

Blup

Sponsored Links
LOL. And then flood damage gets mentioned. :rolleyes:

As mentioned, that vertical pattern is not typical of any rising damp. Neither are there any salts or tidemarks.

Barring any other late minute revelations, the most likely cause is that the plaster is hygroscopic and attracting moisture. Hack off and renew with renovating plaster and skim.

When the plaster is off, check the wall to see if there are any different materials in the wall in the area of the damp.

Those back additions often had toilets, and bathrooms located there, with poorer quality brick, and no dpc as mentioned by the OP.

So likely a combination of historic water ingress from leaking pipes or gutters, flood damage, and damp from rising, penetrating and condensation. Maybe further problems will reveal themselves because it is only two months since redecoration. Replacing the affected plaster is a sensible first step.

Blup

Sponsored Links
In my limited experience many damp issues are pretty similar. Searching on here & reading the bottom of the page Related Threads chains of experiences will help you.

?
Looking specifically for what a learned poster ( bobasd ) has said in the past, may reveal more answers.

is there a pipe buried under that floor?

how damp are all the other walls in the house?

A bit late, but now ladies and gents the thread is complete. :rolleyes:

No, we haven't had the "leak from bathroom or pipe above or in the wet wall" yet.

The wet patch does seem curiously localised so perhaps there is a source of water near it.

Last edited:
No, we haven't had the "leak from bathroom or pipe above or in the wet wall" yet.

The wet patch does seem curiously localised so perhaps there is a source of water near it.

@JohnD belive it or not I was dealing with a leaking toilet last night (nowhere near these damp patches). No water pipes near this wall, in fact I believe they run under the floor on the opposite wall and there is no evidence of damp. A bedroom is above this wall. No other damp in the house. I think this is a combination of patch plastering, wallpapering over repairs too quickly and a high volume of condensation coming from the kitchen right next door. I think I have a plan in place to fix this from the thread. Thanks anyway.

Nick2847,

An eleven inch wall is a cavity wall - even in older houses.
Any chance of the pics I asked for?

If you are in a flood area then chances are the water table is high -
- are you on a slope?
- or is the outside ground level lower or higher than your FFL's?

Nick2847,

An eleven inch wall is a cavity wall - even in older houses.
Any chance of the pics I asked for?

If you are in a flood area then chances are the water table is high -
- are you on a slope?
- or is the outside ground level lower or higher than your FFL's?

Thanks @tell80
Hopefully the pic I have taken will add to my explanation. Its too dark for outside pics but the kitchen, you can see through through arch is of the same brick construction and likely an original part if the house. Above this area is a bedroom so the roof meets the house a lot higher than this room.
We are not in a flood area. Flooding occurred in Dec 2020 when a lot of the country had a months rain in 24hrs, which was exacerbated by blocked drians on the main road (now cleared by council) and the dyke to deal with severe flood water on our road was full of rubbish as it is a fly tippers delight!
My plot is not on a slope although the back garden steps down from the patio area to the main garden. The main road to the front is higher than my front driveway however so my driveway slopes to the front door.
You can see in the photo the step leading to the conservatory which is higher than the FFL inside. The rest of the ground height outside is below the DPC.
The photo shows the two stub walls, one with the localised damp and the other seems to have no signs despite being closer to the external wall and higher ground of conservatory floor. All solid concrete floors throughout.
Hope that answers your questions, I'd be interest to see you thoughts following these answers

Attachments

• 20220211_184858.jpg
    20220211_184858.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for the info.
A Two story extn wont show much helpful info.
The latest pic shows damp signs on two walls.
If the GL is lower than the DPC why was the conservatory FFL built higher than the house FFL?

Perhaps the damp signs I see on the stub walls is simply good, old fashioned rising damp.
When/if the skirting is removed maybe some kind of DPC's will be seen?
But there is still the possibility of cavity debris bridging any DPC's?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back