Any difference between soil pipe and vent pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I want to move our toilet a couple of meters along. Currently the soil pipe goes out the back of the toilet to the outside and straight into the ground. A foot or so to the right of that soil pipe is a soil vent pipe which comes straight out of the ground.

If I move the toilet along the wall the soil pipe will come out at the other side of the soil vent pipe. So, is it ok to cut into the soil vent pipe, and insert a tee joint into it for the new soil pipe? Then just cap off the old soil pipe?

Here's a photo...

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Photo of where vent enters manhole might help as what you can do would depend on where the vent is positioned.

So, you intend to move the WC to the RH of the vent pipe, near to the waste pipes going into a gulley?

Does that vent pipe pick up another first floor WC higher up?
Is the vent pipe well clipped all the way to the eaves?

What you intend is easily done just as you propose.

The abandoned inlet in the manhole must be packed as full as possible, with a S&C&stone mix, up to just below ground level, to prevent vermin nesting there.

Is it a vent pipe or a vented waste stack with something connected further up?
As Alan says, it's important where in the inspection chamber it exits.

Sponsored Links
Hi all, thanks for your replies, i've added another 2 photos below. I flushed the toilet to see where the water would run, and marked the photo up.

This is a bungalow (with a basement) so there is nothing above, as you can see in the 2nd photo.

Hope this helps. One other question - why does the waste split off into two? There are no other toilets in the property, and there is no waste/soil pipes in the basement.

Thanks

So, you intend to move the WC to the RH of the vent pipe, near to the waste pipes going into a gulley?

Does that vent pipe pick up another first floor WC higher up?
Is the vent pipe well clipped all the way to the eaves?

What you intend is easily done just as you propose.

The abandoned inlet in the manhole must be packed as full as possible, with a S&C&stone mix, up to just below ground level, to prevent vermin nesting there.

yes it will be moved to basically where that first waste pipe comes out which runs into the drain (that will be removed)

Thanks for the extra pics.

The WC inlet is presumably correct but doesn't the MH drain out to the right not the left?

The LH inlet is probably from the gulley or gullies further over to the left hand side of the building?

Instead of doing corrective ground work to the MH if the MH vent was to be used as a soil stack, why not consider this :

Cut the existing bend out but leave the stub that goes into the ground.
Cut the vent stack, and move it over to Tee into the stub.

And then run the new WC horizontal soil pipe into the Tee branch.

The vent stack can be jogged to the left to miss the window.

Hi ree, thanks so much for your help.

I thought it was weird that the water run that way, but the arrows are definitely correct, at least that's which way everything runs when I flush the toilet.

Good idea about linking it across to the existing soil pipe!

Why not observe water coming from the left hand gulley entering the MH. Is it definitely discharging from the MH inlet you've annotated, & running to the left?

The branch channels appear to be (obviously) the "wrong" way round. But chamber & channels are clean, so its apparently working fine. However, the vent pipe inlet has some wet sludge at the invert rim - where did that come from, vents are dry. Possibly from condensation in the vertical pipe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back