Any idea what a periodic inspection will costs ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon

I am interested (mainly because I am replacing my central hearing) in getting my flat rewired.

Couple of questions

1) Any idea what a Periodic inspection costs ?
http://www.niceic.org.uk/consumers/pir.html
1a) Is it worthwhile ?

2) Any idea what I can expect it would cost to re-wire the flat ?
2a) To save money could I run the cables ? And simply get the electrical guy in to connect and test ?

3) Is it even worth re-wiring at all ?
The cable type I currently have are grey PCV. The wire inside consists of 3 strands for each colour (black and red) and the earth is a single thin cable..........

Sponsored Links
To establish the condition, and decide what rectivications (or rewire) is required, a PIR should be done.

For a small flat, you should expect approx £70, and a couple hours work.

Prices vary hugely from one end of the country to the other, and there is an even bigger difference in the middle! This is a ball park figure. Many sparks may take a look and say it will take longer/cost more depending on many variables.

freestyle said:
Good Afternoon

I am interested (mainly because I am replacing my central hearing) in getting my flat rewired.
Why does new CH lead to a rewire?

Couple of questions

1) Any idea what a Periodic inspection costs ?
http://www.niceic.org.uk/consumers/pir.html[/QUOTE]
See #9 here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19448

1a) Is it worthwhile ?
If you're concerned about the state of your wiring

2) Any idea what I can expect it would cost to re-wire the flat ?
See #9 here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19448

2a) To save money could I run the cables ? And simply get the electrical guy in to connect and test ?
Possibly - but you'd need to do that with his agreement, direction and cooperation, as if he is certifying the installation he's going to want to be sure you've installed the cables properly. If you're adding/moving accessories you can certainly do all the chasing and sinking, and you will not upset him one bit if you do all the furniture moving, carpet & floor lifting etc.

The cable type I currently have are grey PCV. The wire inside consists of 3 strands for each colour (black and red) and the earth is a single thin cable..........
That's a generic description of twin & earth that doesn't really help much. Do you know how old it is? Are the red & black cores solid or stranded? Do you have fuses or MCBs? Does your lighting circuit have an earth?

Freestyle - if your new plumbing is going to be in copper, not Hep2O, then use, or have your plumber use, fittings from these people:

http://www.earthcrimp.co.uk/earth_crimp_connector_range.html

where you'll need supplementary equipotential bonding, as that will mean you won't need earth clamps and you will thus be able to keep all of the bonding connections under the floor.

Might be worth having your plumber and electrician speak to each other about the requirements....

please note 10a

Thanks for the replies.

You quoted me when I explained that the cables are stranded ?? Is there anything else I should have said

So I was trying to anticipate your question. Does this help with identifying the cables age ?

Also sorry about asking for costs. I do realise that prices across the country vary, and will review the rules again.

Based on reading the rules it seems its ok to ask for a local referal. So if anyone does know of an individual or company who would work in EN5 please let me know.

In reply to "Why does installing Central Heating suggest a re-wire" quite simply I am lifting all the floor boards, replacing carpet with lamite etc. So I don't want to have to pull all this up again in a few years time

Sponsored Links
My apologies - didn't read that properly - thought you were saying 3 cores...
smack.gif

Are all your cables 3-strands? That makes them very small - what rating are the fuses on the circuits?

Not 7-strands for sockets?

http://electrical-contractor.net/PC/IEE1966_T3.jpg

1960-1975 ish used tinned (silver coloured) cables, a core would have 3 strands. It is the imperial equiv of 2.5 usually. More strands for 4mm equiv.

It is old, but my house is the same :oops: . Insualtion fine, and earth too at mine.

3/.029 .002in² 1.29mm² 15A clipped direct
3/.036 .003in² 1.94mm² 19A
7/.029 .0045in² 2.90mm² 23A

?

Well my house was built in 1965 ish..

But I am getting back to the question. Now that we have kind of sorted out what cable I have.. Does it mean this place has never been re-wired !

I'm too young to know what to look for..

Although I will be phoning some elecy's tommorow from the NSICC website.. or whatever its called

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back