Any new TV experts out there?

had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago..Mr tv man said it needed a "KICK" £32 all in....i got another 18 months out of it...Before i made the plunge for a 42" plasma.HD Ready...off ebuyer...£799..with progressive scan.3-scarts.Detatchable speakers..i Bought a tempered glass stand seperate for £50..Never looked back.....Touch wood.

Sponsored Links
I agree that if the TV is displaying the blue and the green bits of the picture then either the red driver transistor or more likely its collector load resistor has failed, both cheap bits.

Its possible that the decoder chip has failed but less likely as they are cooler low power devices.

If the tube has failed it usually gives a full on red signal from the red gun.

Tony

JamesA said:
Thermo said:
blimey must be something in the air, mines gone tonight as well. Tried the old size 9 technology as well (and the swearing loudly at it) didnt work though!

I took the back off last night and removed most of the dust as well and given everything a good "wiggle" to make sure no connections were loose.
Even shaking the thing didn't do anything...

Maybe its all those storm flies we've been having in the hot weather getting into the circuits.

It really should be emphasized that opening up CRT's and wiggling 'things' is not really a good idea :confused: You see there are 10's of thousands of volts (depending on tube size) stored in the tube and while not a great source of current it will at least F****** hurt like mad and make you fly like superman. If the PSU resovoir cap hasn't for some reason discharged this could quite easily kill.

I would advise taking to someone who knows their tellies!

The tube itself creates the reservoir capacitor and as its supplied at about 25,000 volts on the larger tube sizes then that can be quite lethal!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
The tube itself creates the reservoir capacitor and as its supplied at about 25,000 volts on the larger tube sizes then that can be quite lethal!

Tony

I was talking about the res cap on the PSU mate I honestly think I would (possibly) rather get a zap from the residual charge in the tube than get the full force from the capacitor mate. It might be a much lower voltage (about 340Vdc?) but as they say it's the volts that jolt.... You know the rest!

Back