Any recommendations for LED downlights in a reception

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone got any recommendations for some LED downlights which would look good in a fairly small office reception area ?

I think I want to go for LED because they are cooler running (arent they ?) & there is about 25 lights in a fairly small area & I dont want them too bright

Any ideas welcome ;)

Sponsored Links
most LED lights are a shade of blue (even the white ones) it can be a bit off putting, so really its your choice since they are all mostly the same

Use a mix of LED and CFL lights. Assuming they will be on for long periods.

OK thanks. I got an Aurora book here, looks like some good stuff in it.

Sponsored Links
I've used 3W LED's in downlighters to several kitchens now - just need to space them about 450mm centres to get a decent light level. Wouldn't bother with 1W ones but I see that there are now 5W and 7W ones around.

Light colour is a matter of taste - the 3W ones are available in white, warm white & blue. My clients have been very particular about colour and really appreciated being able to choose between warm white & white - but then at £15 a lamp they need to be fussy.

High initial cost but they cost nowt to run and run cold. Claims of up to 55,000 hour life - which means that I wont be around to change them!!

I'd never use a mix of LED & CFL at the same time as the colour rendition is very different. Same as mixing CFL & low voltage halogen - looks awful.

Thanks Cremeegg. As it happens the cable are 600mm centres so from what your saying LED's are sounding ok. There are wall lights in this reception aswell so this will help with light.

Both led and Compact fluorescent have moved on and you can get different colour temperatures (2400K yellowish

I'd use gu10 fittings as you can always change the bulbs to Halogen/led/cfl if necessary as they all come in GU10 fittings. You just have to make sure they are open back or deep-enough (if enclosed) to take some of the led/gu10's

With regards to LED power ratings, as with anything, it's the efficiency that counts and ultimately the light output. some 3watt leds are just as bright as 5watt ones.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=146555&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I've used 3W LED's in downlighters to several kitchens now - just need to space them about 450mm centres to get a decent light level. Wouldn't bother with 1W ones but I see that there are now 5W and 7W ones around.

Light colour is a matter of taste - the 3W ones are available in white, warm white & blue. My clients have been very particular about colour and really appreciated being able to choose between warm white & white - but then at £15 a lamp they need to be fussy.

High initial cost but they cost nowt to run and run cold. Claims of up to 55,000 hour life - which means that I wont be around to change them!!

I'd never use a mix of LED & CFL at the same time as the colour rendition is very different. Same as mixing CFL & low voltage halogen - looks awful.

Hi Cremeegg, Can you tell me where i can get the warm white LED GU10's from as i have looked everywhere for them.

Thanks
Dan

if you clicked on my link above, you'd find at least one place

Personaly I'd give serious consideration to the 200mm-ish recessed downlighters that take 1 or 2 26W fluorescent lamps..

Danny

Try amongst others QVS or Ryness. Ryness OnLine were doing 10 for about £140 - not a bad price.

These are the single 3W lamps not those that have 3 individual 1W LED's in. Can't recall the efficiency figures now but several of my clients have been happy with them - that's what counts. Just make sure you get the wider based GU10 fittings as the narrower based ones are prone to fail all too quickly after just a few hours and are now old stock left hanging around.

Quite a difference between white (the typical slightly harsh blueish light of an LED) and warm white that looks more like a CFL GU10. Don't have the colour temperature charts for them to hand but check with the client beforehand.

From experience;

2400K quite yellow-ish good for living room
2700K seems about right for my kitchen (whiter than i thought they would be - see above link)
4000K very white
then upwards to blue-ish to purple - then ultra-violet :LOL:

The colour temperature is a better indication of whiteness than relying on the description such as "warm-white" or "cool-white" had some warm whites that were just plain YELLOW !!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back