Any Way of Burying an Electrical Connection in a Wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I removed an old wall-mounted bar heater in my daughter's bedroom (powered by a spur from the ring circuit), to re-use the outlet for a wall light. The heater was previously controlled via a switched fused spur. All the cabling is chased in, so only the fused spur box (where the cable from the socket and the cable from the heater joined) was visible.

All pretty straightforward, except my wife would like the connection buried as well, since she said the fused spur "no longer seems necessary" for safety reasons. Having read various threads, junction boxes must be left accessible - so is there any way to bury a permanent electrical connection in a brick/plaster wall?

Thanks,
Barnet 1234

Sponsored Links
The light has it's own on/off. The fused spur is at head height in the room corner so it cannot be converted into a socket. It just sits there, so I understand why my wife wants it chased in/buried.

Sponsored Links
I know how you feel but your spur either comes off a ring circuit protected by a 30a fuse or a radial circuit protected by a 16a breaker which is too high to protect your light,thats why you need your spur with a lower rated fuse to protect your light

I'm confused. You've used this old heater feed to feed a wall light, but you've bypassed the original fused spur & the light has its own switch?

In that case, is the wall light currently fused down between the CPD at the fuseboard and the light fitting? If not, you need to fuse it down to protect the cable.

if i was you id completely disconnect the spur from the wherever its supplied and take a feed of the existing lighting, which may require a small piece of trunking above the light to the ceiling. then u could just remove the spur and cover the holes.

if, however, you want to keep the new light fed from the existing spur then the spur needs to stay and as stephen says it will need a lower fuse (assuming the heater used a 13A the light will prob need no more than 5A).

if u were to bury it and the fuse went you'd be screwed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back