Anyone any good at dominos?

S

SammyInnit

I'm after something in the way of a domino system, or the fundamentals of a domino but without the hefty price.

I'm just a hobby wood worker and so it's a massive price tag that I simply cannot bring myself to spend on. I've looked at building a panto-router based on Matthias Wandels design but I want something a little more simple to use, and possibly hand held that could be well used in a small work area.

Are dual dowellers any good? Anyone have any other sort of recommendation? Think floating tenon type of thing but on a small easy scale just to hold joints together and rigid.

Sponsored Links
A mortise and tenon jig is probably the way to go.
The trend one is around £200 quid and the Leigh over £1000 quid.
Or you could probably make your own.

A mortise drill and accurate bandsaw works well too.

A mortise and tenon jig is probably the way to go.
The trend one is around £200 quid and the Leigh over £1000 quid.
Or you could probably make your own.

A mortise drill and accurate bandsaw works well too.

I've made mortise and tenon joints using my Bandsaw before but I was thinking more for speed and accuracy for little projects that need knocking up quick.

A biscuit jointer is much, much cheaper than a domino machine. Very similar joint, if a tad weaker.

Gaz :)

I've got a biscuit jointer I use for board glue ups now and again. Never really thought about using it for joinery otherwise. I'll give it a go :)

Sponsored Links
A biscuit jointer is much, much cheaper than a domino machine. Very similar joint, if a tad weaker.
A LOT weaker, I assure you. Biscuits are OK for assembling 18mm ply or MDF carcasses for interior use (beech isn't durable when used outdoors) , but Dominos can do frame and panel doors for exterior use with the correct (Sipo) Domino plates and the appropriate glue. Personally if I were on a budget I'd consider 1/2in plunge router, home-made jig and home-made loose tenons. TBH you can't really top the speed and accuracy of Dominos - that's why many workshops have adopted them - but the price is indeed steep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back