Anyone help with a solar thermal panel problem?

Ta for the advice folks, yes this has been an experiment with some good but too many bad bits. Mointainwalker, as you remember it's been plagued with silly things. I'm trying to establish if any of the two walls upstairs are structural as I'd like to re-jig the upper level to give bigger bedrooms, the company that did the frame kit etc have a website and they're bragging about their new-found status as champions of the "passivehaus"...given the shoddy leaky floor sections we have I had to smile.
Anyway- I'm in the process of running an experiment right now. Checked that all the "normal" radiators were functioning(they are, no bangs creaks and all warming up fine), turned off the heating master switch to kill the pump, and have banged a load of coal and well seasoned birch into the stove over the last few hours. I also checked(by opening the bleed valve) on the gravity feed radiator that there wasn't an air lock- there isn't. Just trying to boil my thermal store again to see when and if it comes on(do this by switching on again every half hour and getting an upper tank reading- last one at 92c...getting there)

If it doesn't work and come on at some point then the installing company will have to come back regardless and sort this, then they can look at the solar hours issue, and then fix the failed central heating thermostat which has the pump running constantly regardless of tank temperature!

Designed and installed by muppets.....

Not sure if public money was involved- we did get a Scottish Govt grant of 25% of the house cost so maybe that counts? Either way I feel it's time to collate ours and all the neighbours problems and put it into writing- go back to the trust that commissioned the houses, the architect, all the contractors and then finally our local MP, I know him have spoken to him before and I'm sure he'd love to get a true picture of what subsidised affordable housing in the rural highlands is, before the proposed second phase begins and 6 other families have to go through this amateur process!!!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back