Apollo Fanfare 65/80 Si (1987) Starts, runs, no restart!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the above boiler serviced by BG every year. They say it is an excellent boiler and from the internet there are common parts available. The problem is we use it for an hour in the morning and evening to heat the water in summer. It now starts, goes through the first cycle until the pumped circulated water in the boiler reaches the overheat? thermostat setting and switches the gas off. This takes 5 mins. When the water has cooled it a bit (low boiler thermostat temperature reached??), the pilot lights but the gas valve doesn't open. After a min or so the pilot goes out but the fan continues. It remains like this until the time clock switches it all off. If however at the point where the pilot goes out, or any time after, I restart the boiler either at the programmer or on the boiler switch, it then restarts and goes through another cycle. This can be repeated a few times manually until the hot water tank is full of hot water. The question is what is wrong and can it be repaired easily?

Sponsored Links
If you have homecare from BG then you should call them to fix your fault.Most of the spares are still around for your boiler so should present no problem.

I recall one acting like this. It was either a relay or dry joint fault on the pcb. Giving it a whack on the underside of the casing kept it going for a little while longer until I managed to get a new one. Quite an expensive part it was too.

Faulty gas valve is another possible cause.

If you have homecare from BG then you should call them to fix your fault.Most of the spares are still around for your boiler so should present no problem.
I am concerned that BG will just look at the age and not bother to find the cause. I really don't want to spend £3k on a new boiler just now. I would like to suggest they look at it because the cause is likely to be.....

Sponsored Links
I recall one acting like this. It was either a relay or dry joint fault on the pcb. Giving it a whack on the underside of the casing kept it going for a little while longer until I managed to get a new one. Quite an expensive part it was too.

Thanks for those suggestions, that is what I am looking for although I hoped it would be more simple. Would BG Care look and repair that kind of problem or are there limits to what they will do?

Can you still get a gas valve for this boiler?

BG replaced all the thermostats in 2004 when we had banging in the pipes.

they should do but if not ask them why they can`t repair it and ask what the part is whats gone and the gc number
and some will tell u if telling the truth or not

Get BG out. They will probably tell you it needs changing but you don't have to get it done. They are obliged to fix it for you as long as there are parts still avaiable, which there are.

Get BG out. They will probably tell you it needs changing but you don't have to get it done. They are obliged to fix it for you as long as there are parts still avaiable, which there are.
I have arranged for BG to come tomorrow morning and will report back. Thanks for all the replies so far.

BG have been and say it is a fault on the PCB. The PCB, like the gas valve, are apparently both obsolete, so it looks like a new boiler. BG will only replace a unit such as a PCB, they will not look for dry joints or replace PCB components like relays.
Pity, as I turned the boiler on and off 5 times this morning, from the programmer, and had a nice hot bath.

This is from an on line supplier and looks as if it may be the part for your boiler!

Thorn Gas Boiler Spares

Thorn myson main Ign PCB Assy RV 402A3672 (Code:402A3672)

Thorn Ign PCB Assy RV 402A3672 myson main

This is used on the Apollo (later) 60SI and 80SI. Orion 75SI. Apollo (later) 30SI to 50SI.

Apollo Fanfare 15/30SI - 65/80SI - 50/60SI - 30/50SI - 40SI.

Orion 30SI to 60SI

Ref: 402A3672

Price: £159.69 (Ex VAT)
Quantity:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back