apollo with too small pilot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Very annoying problem with a Myson Apollo with a balanced flue. The pilot flame is perfectly blue but very small. It just touches the sensor and every fluke wind that blows at the right angle, will cause the safety to activate. The adjustment screw on the valve can make the flame even smaller but not bigger. Are there any other adjustments that can be made? Gaspressure is ample so nothing to be gained there.

Sponsored Links
Get an engineer in who owns an injector cleaning pin. Common problem but is gas related so dont go trying to kill yourself :!:

Stan

Stan, I think that you will find that Ben is CORGI registered!

Surprising that he does not know about the pilot jet size being the cause though.

We are not supposed to prick them though so replacement is the only option but a helpful BG fellow once told me they find boiling them in water can help.

Tony

Also get plenty of leak detector fluid on the pilot tube connection, any leak there will reduce the flame size.

The top sockets can corrode sufficient to reduce the flame pointing to the T/c.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Stan, tell me more. I am actually an RGI, but have never heard of an injector cleaning pin. I have always been told that if you can not clean an injector with compressed air or water, buy a new one as anything poked in is likely to damage. I keep finding handy gadgets that nobody else seems to have and one more would be very welcome. I am not sure if it would do the trick here though as the flame is perfect in colour and shape.

pilot Injetor cleaning pin is a purpose made tool with a very very fine metal end that will clean out injector hole without enlarging it as you may do with a needle or safety pin.. Been part of BG engineers kit for over ten years very usefull simple bit of kit

Thanks guys, learn something new everyday and I might get smart before I retire.
The famous bg toolkits, one of my mates had several handy gadgets that do not appear to be for sale anywhere. I wish they were.
I will check the injector but am not too hopeful because the flame is perfect, never know though and boiling the injector in water is a new trick to me as well.

Never heard of the boiling to clean it bit but most appollo`s had a ceramic type injector that can be easily damaged i would not recommend boiling one of those . It is not unusual to have some sh#te in the pilot supply tube take this out as well and give it a blow through just to check it

:idea: try a dometic cleaning agent like cillit bang soak for 10 mins and it cleans it up a treat works excellent on the brass pilot shroud also.

Try tesco / sainbury its in a pink bottle on the household cleaners section. you must have seen the annoying advert on tv " bang and the dirt is gone"
Trouble with prodding out pilot u can enlarge the hole, ps go carfull getting the pilot injec out as its easy to break the ceramic top.

Also get plenty of leak detector fluid on the pilot tube connection, any leak there will reduce the flame size.

The top sockets can corrode sufficient to reduce the flame pointing to the T/c.
Quite right I always carry a top socket for these aswell. Usually shagged in 3-4 years

Stan

look at :-

www.cillitbang.co.uk/

Not official but the old timers will remember the old prickers for the jet in their paraffin blowlamps!

Those prickers could illegally help on a jet!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back