Appointing a structural engineer for home extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, our plans have been approved and the architect has drawn up the detailed plans for building regs - we still need to appoint a structural engineer for the structural calcs.

Architect has recommended someone he works with and his quote also seems reasonable.

However, what am I supposed to be asking the structural engineer before I appoint him? I could not find very substantial information online, but here is what I have managed to gather so far:
1) Registered with Engineering Council?
2) Adequate professional and indemnity and public liability insurance?
3) How much will engineer charge for any changes to calculations (there is one area in the house where we are unsure whether the wall supports anything above)?
4) Charges for telephone queries by builder / architect?

Anything I am missing? Are there a minimum level of qualifications that are needed for structural calcs for residential extension?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Might want to add charges for site visit/inspections to your list..
He will probably only have professional indemnity as he doesn't carry out the work.
Beyond that seems fair.. if hes registered on the engineering council then he has adequate qualifications.. but even if he isn't registered its down to competence..
As hes been recommended by the Architect it would be fair to assume he has previous experience on similar projects..

You really should let the designer deal with and appoint the engineer. I find it odd that he has not done so as part of his instruction.

This is mainly for contractual and liability reasons if something goes wrong

But also, so that you are not faced with paying more money when the designer or the engineer needs to "make changes" because of the other ones design

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back