Aqualisa Aquastream + New Combi boiler

So if you roll your eyes at something you call good advice, what emotion do you convey when the advice is bad?

It is called: sarcasm. Your advice is about as useful as a sail on a speedboat.

A "damn site"? How long do you think it would take me to remove an Aquastream cover, disconnect the pump, and put the cover back?
About a hundred times longer than it takes me to cut off the plug. If you are very quick, that is.
I sincerely doubt that, since you need a tool to do it. But it's kind of irrelevant, since it's a poor and inadequate way of addressing the issue.
Indeed, the shower has to go.

Sponsored Links
well I will have a look around to see what I can find then.
If you're doing what I suggested, i.e. conceal, then the Trevi Blend is one valve that will do it.

Father in law is a builder so, he can assist. I just know these tiles are a mega pain to cut when not on the wall let alone on the wall (we did the tiling you see).
Personally I've never had any trouble cutting porcelain tiles, either with a [good] manual cutter or a wet wheel. You can't drill them with an ordinary masonry bit, but it's really easy with a diamond bit and some water.

Just thinking out loud, could I replace the elbows with (johnguest type)pushfit elbows and some coper pipe ??
You could, but what you are thinking of doing then?

I would wonder if I wanted to risk it as a diy project.
The entire point of this site is to advise people on methods and risks when they're undertaking DIY tasks and projects.

If you're just going to be vague and negative then what's the point of you posting?
I am as clear as a bell, the aqualisa should go.
Advising people to get a pro to do a job when it is clear that the potential for problems far outweighs the advantage of saving some money, is good practice. I do this stuff for a living, and can see various bits that could turn this project into a nightmare; obviously, you lack that insight.

Advising people to get a pro to do a job when it is clear that the potential for problems far outweighs the advantage of saving some money, is good practice.
In that case we fundamentally differ, since my objective is to make it clear by explaining and to empower the other person to make the choice, not just blithely make the decision for them.

I do this stuff for a living
I sincerely doubt that. Maybe you will when you grow up.

Your advice is about as useful as a sail on a speedboat.
In that case I recommend that you don't read it.

You can easily achieve that by using this:

For my part I've used this one:

Sponsored Links
Was thinking if the elbows are my only issue with retaining the exisiting shower that I could make some new ones that would not blow off.

Think I will speak to the father in law later, see what he thinks. By the sounds of it we will have to replace the shower. I suppose if I got another Aqualisa one then we could retain the rail, handset and hose and just buy a new mixer.

We used diamond cutters for these tiles when we did the tiling. Father in law has used porcelain tiles before but he said these are the hardest ones he has ever come across. They are rather thick.

The problem is, you don't know if the elbows are the only thing that can't take the full mains pressure. Is it worth the risk of something splitting or coming off, and causing a flood? If a client asked me to do it, I would categorically refuse to leave it in place.

yeah fair point, just trying to save some moeny. Saying that this could have ended in tears costing more if we had a flood.

New shower it is then.

Was thinking if the elbows are my only issue with retaining the exisiting shower that I could make some new ones that would not blow off.
A good idea, but TBH I doubt that the internal elbows are a limiting factor, as they're a licensed edition of JG connections and so would be expected to cope with a lot more than 1.0 bar, whereas the the Aqualisa grey cartridge is intended only for gravity use. (The grey cartridge is also used on pumped systems, but even then the static pressure is very low).

I suppose if I got another Aqualisa one then we could retain the rail, handset and hose and just buy a new mixer.
There's no technical reason not to keep the Aqualisa riser and get a different brand of valve. Cosmetically, I wouldn't expect anyone to pay much attention to the brand when they're naked, wet and soapy.

to be honest I don't think there is enough room inside the box to replace the elbows, and the way its designed i don't think its possible anyway. I have coverted this kind of shower to mains and the elbows will not take the pressure as they are for gravity and rated at 1 bar /10 m max head, as stated inside the cover. Try it if you like, but get the mop ready :LOL:

11 years later, this forum is still relevant lol thanks guys, I think I'll just get a new mixed installed....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back