Aqualisa Shower Pressure - a workaround - but no fix yet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi first post, so please go easy! Thanks for reading.

We bought our house last January and over the last year the aqualisa power shower seems to have generated an intermittent problem.

It might be slightly worse in winter but it was doing it same in summer, the issue is occasionally the pressure of water dropped by about half. The pump would make a slightly higher pitched noise too. I have been experimenting ever since. Heres what I found.

- Sometimes it would just work.
- When pressure dropped turning shower on and off - didnt fix it.
- I live in a hard water area so descaled the shower head - didnt fix it.
- Turning temperature up and down fully or up and down quickly..it would flash whilst the thermostat adjusted temp but no difference - obviously pressure was just slightly more for cold only.
- Having a 8 min shower, then someone came along 5 mins later and sometimes the pressure would be back up to normal.
- putting shower head on floor and turning on - no difference.

Then I discovered a way to fix it everyime. When it was low pressure if I held my hand over the shower head to block it, it would cause the pump to cut out. If I waited then for about 3 seconds and let go.. it was fixed! The pressure would return without loss and the pump made a nice deep whirring sound it normally makes.

So any ideas what to do next please?

I wonder if this means I have air in the pump (if I am clearing it each time how does it get back in?) I service the pump perhaps? Is that a DIY job? Is the pump knackered or full of some kind of gunk that only clears when I hold it down and let pressure build.

Sorry I dont know how old this shower setup is but I would say about 2-3 years old.

Sponsored Links
The shower mixer dial on the wall just says "Aqualisa Thermostatic Shower"
In the Airing Cupboard I have the hot and cold "mixer box" has an aqualisa label on..230v 20W
S/N 40361
IPx4 50hz
ANB 5-40 DEG. C
MAX INLET 7 BAR
CE

This feeds a purple PUMP
Duraspeed - High Performance Shower Pump.
Wet Pass R08/W08

Sorry thats all the info I have :(

Hi Guilefox,

There are possible causes to your problem:

The first could simply be a shower hose problem. Next time you notice a pressure drop in the shower you can run the following test.

Unscrew the hose from where it connects to the shower and turn the shower on. If the flow is better and the pump noise reduces then it will be the rubber liner in the hose that is causing your problem.

The second possible cause could be air in the system. If there is air in your pipe work and/or water system this will cause low flow, pulsing, noisy pumps and possibly temperature fluctuations. To remedy this:

· Unscrew the shower head from the hose (anti-clockwise) and place the open end of the hose at its’ lowest point (in the bath or shower tray).
· Turn the shower on.
· Set the temperature on the shower control to the MAXIMUM COLD POSITION.
· Gradually start to increase the temperature, slowly blending in the hotter water.
· Keep doing this until you reach the MAXIMUM HOT POSITION.
· Important: If at any stage the water pulsates, splutters or surges, stop moving the temperature control and wait till both the flow and temperature stabilise (this is the air escaping). Once it corrects itself; then continue to move the temperature controller.
· Once you have reached the MAXIMUM HOT POSITION, keep it running on this setting for about 20seconds (ensuring the flow and temperature are stable).

Finally; do the opposite. Start blending in the cooler water, following the same procedure until you again reach the MAXIMUM COLD POSITION

If you would like to speak to a member of our technical team, please call us on 01959 560010 (Mon - Fri 8.30 - 5.00)

Lucy at Aqualisa

Sponsored Links
You're welcome Guilefox, please let me know how you get on.

As I mentioned, if you do need any further assistance, please call our technical team who will be happy to help.

Lucy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back