Aquapanel fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to find out how to fit aquapanel and from various places it seems that battening the walls is the best thing (so that I can get them plumb etc)

The question is - what size of batten? Does it just need to be enough to pack the panel out plumb?

Do I need to screw into the batten or can I plug and screw the panel to the brickwork?

The reason for asking is to find out how much thickness I will add to each wall, so that I can then scope out the size of a bath!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The panel isn't intended to be screwed to the masonry.

Battens are one method, but Knauf also makes a drywall framework that allows you get the panels absolutely plumb, flat and rigid.

However, it might be difficult to find a stockist of the framework components, but you should be able to find a local drywall supplier and buy the equivalent from them.

Consider Hardiebacker board as an alternative - personally I think it's even better than Aquapanel.

The distance of the finished wall, from the 'proudest' point on the masonry wall, is determined as follows:

C channel (the upright part of the frame) depth - 19mm
Cement board thickness (Hardie or Knauf) - 12.5 mm or 12mm
Tile adhesive - 3mm
Tile - 6mm to 9mm (depends entirely on your tiles)
Total = 40mm to 43.5mm

Don't forget to buy the special screws to go with the cement board.

It rather depends on individual requirements & battening is the approved & best method; Aqua Panel can, however, be secured direct to masonry quiet effectively but it’s not recommended by Knauf! Dot/dab to hold the panels in place (roughly where you will be using fixings), let it go off & then secure with “through fixings” into the masonry behind. I close fix the panels; just enough adhesive to stick at the highest points more where it’s uneven but you need to keep the panel flat for tiling & be aware of what your doing; it’s a very successful method when executed properly.

Sponsored Links
Richard, thanks, I have read about these through fixings in another post/thread on this subject which I should have read before placing my post.

I am currently in debate with the missus as to whether we need a bath or just fit a shower enclosure - this influences what needs doing with respect to battening out walls etc and the dimensions needed.

Ah, the joys of doing up your house!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back