AquaPanel Screws and Adhesives

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I picked up some AquaPanels from Wickes, for the walls of our alcove shower. However they don't sell the AquaPanel branded screws and adhesive. I can't find them from screwfix, toolstation or B&Q.

I need to either find a local chain store (that I can drive to) that has those brands in stock, or get equivalents (or better).

Any suggestions? Either alternative brands or other national stores to try.

I've also picked up a Mapei Showerproofing kit for the walls. Although I'm wondering if AquaPanel cement boards, need priming? I guess no harm in doing it anyway, before I apply the tape and MapeGum.

Mark

Sponsored Links
It's with regret that Wickes don't sell the adhesive anymore.....it has many uses, inside and out (I've even stuck slates with it :p )
Anyway, it's made by Knauf, marketed as a drywall adhesive - I get it mail order now.
John :)

Sponsored Links
It's with regret that Wickes don't sell the adhesive anymore.....it has many uses, inside and out (I've even stuck slates with it :p )
Anyway, it's made by Knauf, marketed as a drywall adhesive - I get it mail order now.
John :)
I need this for the bathroom fitter tomorrow - so has to be somewhere that has it in stock, that I can drive to. I have found "no more nails" waterproof, and homebase stock it. It's expensive, but I think it'll do the job?
http://www.unibond.co.uk/en/diy-adhesives/no-more-nails/no-more-nails-waterproof.html
http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/unibond-no-more-nails-waterproof---white---300ml-329228

But B&Q generally stock these.
OK I'll put those at the top of my list. What about general stainless steel screws? Are those suitable, is the "drive" different? I'm not sure what makes a drywall/cement board screw different to a normal screw?

What purpose is this adhesive for exactly?
Page 11:
http://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/documents/Knauf Aquapanel Product Information.pdf
"It is particularly important to note that for a combination of strength and moisture resistance, the Aquapanel board joints are glued during the boarding process using Knauf Aquapanel Joint Adhesive. The first board is fixed, then adhesive is applied to the adjacent edge before offering up and fixing the next board. This process is repeated"

A good quality silicone sealant will serve the same purpose, I would not use no-nail or similar products, as they do not offer the same allowance to material movement as silicone will.

When I last used AquaPanels from Wickes, I used their screws to attach to the wood studs and no more nails to fill the gaps (so I have no flex which might be an issue later, but I was only joint two boards in shower area). Over this I put the Showerproofing kit (with fibreglass strips over the gaps in case cracks form there.

Points from my DIY experiance (so might be wrong):
- The Wickes SS screws were good (sharp with I think a wider thread pitch), but expensive. If I did it again I would be happy using say Screwfix Stainless Steel Wood Screws.
- Even using the Wickes SS screws I found that I was sometimes cracking the board as I screwed them in. And sometimes the head was proud. So I took to drilling a pilot hole and a counter sink in the board using a masonary drill bit. Took more time, but saved me time having heads flat and no corners of the board cracked off.
- For my Showerproofing kit the Strips cost a lot more than the square sheets. So I cut a square sheet to make strips.

Hope this helps a bit, SFK

"Tile Giant" sells "No More Ply" equivalent to "Aquapanel" plus adhesive, screws etc. No doubt they will sell the adhesive and screws alone if required. Said screws are supposed to be self -tapping and -countersinking.

We dab our boards on with board (drywall) adhesive.

This doesn't actually stick the boards, rather it just does enough to hold them in place and allows you to upright them easily. It then acts as a spacer (once set) which means you can then screw the boards to the wall without any faff.

From a builders point of view, it means not having to switch to differing adhesives etc whilst dabbing boards. It also means you can fill solid behind the joints and keeps you in plane with the rest of the plasterboards throughout the bathroom, should you wish to say aqua-board a shower area only.

Don't rely on the adhesive - it will pop off without mechanical fixings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back