Are cost estimates reasonable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our planning agent has had the planning approved for our extention (5mx5m) with vaulted ceiling and lots of glass in roof and sides, well over the 25% of floor area. This will be a faily high spec extension for which we are budgeting approx. £2k per sqm build cost.

Cost so far for plans and council fees £850 (already paid)

I have now been quoted:
£600 for drawing up plans for Building regs
£250 for report from heating consultant due to amount of glass being used
£600 fee for structural Engineer report for RSJ's, roof, etc
£220 initial fee for building control.

Just wanted to check these seem reasonable.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Seems ok, about what I'd be prolly if it were my job.

I tend to use cheaper engineers though and I would expect to be pay about £250 even for a complicated extension but then I've been through the mill when employing SE's and my now regular engineer whilst pretty cheap he does a good job and I have a good repartee with him which helps the process along. Same with my SAP eng for that matter. Your designer may well have been using this SE for everything so may have a good repartee with him too, which does count for something. Some SE's insist on seeing the job which can bump up their costs hugely but its rarely necessary for any kind of domestic extension.

Is your designer employing the SE direct or will the SE be sending you his invoice?

As an aside note no bloody engineer is gonna charge more than me when he'll only spend about 30% of the amount of time on a job that I would.

My understanding is the planner will invoice me on one invoice for the whole job. He has sent me a copy of the SE's estimate for the £600 which is broken down into various areas.

Although I am guessing, as the planner is recommending this particular SE he may be getting some kind of 'kickback'. He has said I can get my own SE, but I am a little wary of this, as if there are any problems at a later date, he may blame the SE and visa versa.

Thanks

Its possible I suppose he is getting a finders fee, or kick back as you put it, its not good you don't trust your designer like this though. Not the best way to approach the job IMO. Anyway just use your own engineer if you like though. Though you looking at possible blame games before they've even occurred seems to reflect a very cynical attitude to me.

Personally I hate it when people appoint the SE instead of me, they inevitably don't ask the right questions and arrange the work in a coordinated way. Or a classic is when they **** the engineer off and I end up playing cupid! And then I end up managing the SE anyway!

Why don't you just ask him to get two other quotes? It all depends how you've appointed him of course and if he's allowed within his fee to get quotes etc.

Sponsored Links
It is not that I do not trust the planner, I do. However, all I wanted to know was whether the quotes seemed reasonable as I know nothing regarding this area of work.
As long as there were not several replies saying it seemed way over the odds, then I am happy.
As someone who has been 'piggy in the middle' previously, whenever I employ different trades, I like them to be recommended by each other, as this normally leads to a more harmonious project, and they will fit in with each other.

You are correct on one point, I am very cynical, and also a glass half empty person. If I plan in case something may go wrong, then if it does, I am ready with a plan B!...lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back