Are electric showers expensive to run?

That arithmetic would be correct IF one were comparing a gas boiler running 'continuously flat out' at 27 kW with an electric shower drawing 10.5 kW continuously
Basically yes, the combi would be running flatout to produce hot water.
Often combi's are specified for their hot water output, and can be way oversized for heating; which leads to inefficiencies due to return temperatures being too high for condensing etc.(but we won't get into that here! :) ).

Taking some Worcester bosch figures, a 25kW boiler can only heat up to 10.2lpm of hot water (with a 35C temperature rise), when an incoming supply may be 17lpm.

...you could reduce the flow rate, but would you really want to emulate a 10kW electric shower! ;)

(A shower above 15lpm is considered 'good', with a 60/40 split hot to cold water)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That arithmetic would be correct IF one were comparing a gas boiler running 'continuously flat out' at 27 kW with an electric shower drawing 10.5 kW continuously.

However, is that how your combi behaves when heating water?

Kind Regards, John
Quite frankly I don't know how long the boiler runs at full power before it starts modulating.
The 4th shower was obviously cheaper but how much of that was due to the wasted water I also don't know due to the poor resolution of the meter.

...you could reduce the flow rate, but would you really want to emulate a 10kW electric shower! ;)
I probably would if I were trying to make a valid comparison between the two fuels!

However, you and Sunray have made an important pragmatic point, which illustrates why, in practice, the point so often made by winston is not really relevant, because the the way people use combi-powered showers..

... (using the 3.5 factor for illustration) ... if one uses Fuel A to heat the water for one's shower, rather than Fuel B which costs 3.5 times more, then one could reduce the cost of a shower of given duration by a factor of 3.5 - but only if one reduced the flow rate (hence rate of heating water) to that being achieved with Fuel B.

In practice, what people usually do ('because they can') is use Fuel A to heat the water at a rate 3.5 times greater than that achieved with Fuel B - which, as Sunray's figures suggest, mean that showers (of given duration) using the two fuels end up costing much the same.

Hence, if one were interested in energy-saving, combi-powered showers are essentially "bad news", since they encourage people to use 3.5 (or whatever) times more energy for each shower, ... and, as Sunray has illustrated, that's generally what they do, thereby largely eliminating the cost-saving that could potentially be had by using a much cheaper source of energy.

It's a bit different for me, since the hot water for my mixer shower is not instantaneously heated but, rather, comes from a HW cylinder. I therefore don't care whether the hot water used for my 2-minutre shower was heated in 2 minutes or 2 hours!

Kind Regards, John

I have lived with both electric instant showers and showers connected to a gas boiler. And run costs must be down to time in the shower.

With a Main 7 gas DHW heater there was a minimum water through the unit to keep it turned on, so the shower head was larger than with an electric, the boiler would modulate a little, but likely running at around the 15 kW minimum output, the boiler was close to the shower, but the pipe work was at least 22 mm, so a far bit of water needed running off before one stepped into the shower, so the big question is did I use 4 times the amount of water with a gas powered shower compared to electric? I would say very close, but the gas shower with the extra water was a better shower.

Mothers house, the gas powered shower was originally taken from the water storage tank, it was a power shower, however since tank upstairs and shower down stairs, did not need the power turning on, there was no heating of the heat exchanger so water arrived at the shower faster, also pipe work was ½" plastic from the tank so less water to heat up, and no need to have large shower head, so would think no question the gas powered shower was cheaper, can't count the losses from water tank, as would still be heated even is shower not used.

However the cold water tank started to leak, so dad had new central heating fitted with a combi boiler. I had to get the firm back to remove the power shower as illegal now connected direct to incoming supply, as with my shower the rose had to also be changed to a larger one so the boiler would not cut out, and the distance boiler to shower was double the distance of hot water tank to shower, so more pipework to heat up.

However the main problem was the boiler had a small reservoir of hot water to reduce the time it takes to get hot water to the taps, but this was not enough to run a shower, so one had to turn on shower, wait for it to get hot, cold, then hot again before stepping in it. So the water wasted was far more than water used. So once the combi boiler was fitted, likely the gas shower was more expensive than electric.

However with loads of water the experience was better, and after a shower the wet room was really wet, so the problem was to dry the wet room, as transferring from wheel chair to loo one wanted a dry floor, so since needed drying winter and summer, it had electric under floor heating, so by time cost of running the heating is included, having a large gas shower rather than a dribble of an electric shower, clearly cost more.

But the three accounts show how it is not as simple as giving a yes/no answer, it depends on the pipe work used, and how the boiler works, there was an Eco setting on the gas boiler, which if used stopped the cold, hot, cold, hot running of the shower, however swings and roundabouts, as then more water used at the kitchen sink.

I have an electric shower in this house, no idea of size, fitted when I moved in, I am sure using oil would be cheaper, but the cost of installing the pipework with the lifting of the floor etc, likely would not see much change from £1000, so simply not worth doing.

And in the main that is the point, to change from electric to gas, or gas to electric costs money, when starting with a bare room with no shower fitted, cost of running cable or pipes will cancel each other out, so little in the installation cost, likely gas/oil does cost a little more, but the gas/oil or stored water shower is so much better than electric then I would go for gas or stored water every time, but on costs alone not sure, for a proper wet room shower
1661588457377.png
you need stored water, be it electric, gas, or oil, boilers can't deliver enough hot water to supply a shower like that, it has to be stored water, but for me, that is a pipe dream.

Sponsored Links
However with loads of water the experience was better, and after a shower the wet room was really wet, so the problem was to dry the wet room, as transferring from wheel chair to loo one wanted a dry floor, so since needed drying winter and summer, it had electric under floor heating, so by time cost of running the heating is included, having a large gas shower rather than a dribble of an electric shower, clearly cost more.

Of course the more water, the better the overall experience, but I'm a practical type and weigh things up by does it do the job effectively. The job being one of getting clean with the minimum of fuss.

Sadly, my rather fancy electric shower went faulty back in March, after around ten years good service. It was rather good, in that it both modulated the water flow and adjusted its Kw to precisely match the temperature you dialled in.

I replaced that with a model which I thought from reading the spec., was an equivalent one. It wasn't, it modulates the Kw, but not the water, but it's acceptable if not quite as good. You turn it on, it over shoots your set temperature, then cools to your setting. Press the off button and it instantly stops the water flow, leaving the heat in the heater elements. My old model would continue to run the water for a few seconds, to use up the heat.

My tourer caravan has a rather good luxury shower in it, for a tourer caravan. All water is pumped on demand from a barrel by a high power 12v pump, triggered on by a drop in pressure in the internal pipes. It stores (from memory) 10L of hot water in a tank heated by a 1Kw element, or by gas, or both to 50C. The hot and cold feed a mixer none thermostatic mixer tap, though both at exactly the same pressure.

Taking a shower, I switch the wash basin mixer tap to hot, turn it full on until the hot appears, then jump in the shower and turn that on at it's preset mix level. Have a quick wetting, turn it off whilst I soap up, then back on to rinse. It works very effectively indeed and uses very little actual water. Turning the wash basin tap to hot, avoids wasting both hot and cold water at the start.

I must admit I was quite sceptical of using it when I first bought the caravan, preferring to use on site showers. I was used to caravan showers not being that practical and the caravans not being well sealed internally against water, plus poorly laid out for even getting a shower. This one has properly water sealed walls and a shower screen, with a decent water pressure from the head.

Wow, you only spend 2 minutes in the shower?

I am reluctantly considering showering rather than running a full bath each morning. I will miss the bathing though. Far more relaxing.
what on earth rre you doing through the night to need to bath or shower in the morning - or are you on night shift.

it's a bath every sunday evening for me whether I need one or not

My tourer caravan has a rather good luxury shower in it, for a tourer caravan. All water is pumped on demand from a barrel by a high power 12v pump, triggered on by a drop in pressure in the internal pipes. It stores (from memory) 10L of hot water in a tank heated by a 1Kw element, or by gas, or both to 50C. The hot and cold feed a mixer none thermostatic mixer tap, though both at exactly the same pressure.

Taking a shower, I switch the wash basin mixer tap to hot, turn it full on until the hot appears, then jump in the shower and turn that on at it's preset mix level. Have a quick wetting, turn it off whilst I soap up, then back on to rinse. It works very effectively indeed and uses very little actual water. Turning the wash basin tap to hot, avoids wasting both hot and cold water at the start.

I must admit I was quite sceptical of using it when I first bought the caravan, preferring to use on site showers. I was used to caravan showers not being that practical and the caravans not being well sealed internally against water, plus poorly laid out for even getting a shower. This one has properly water sealed walls and a shower screen, with a decent water pressure from the head.
I must admit similar experience, and I suppose that is a real comparison gas to electric, a bottle of gas is around £30, and at 13.7 kWh per Kg and 7 kg in a bottle that's around 31.3p per KWh making gas more expensive that electric. And as in the main one pays a fixed fee for electric hook up rather than by the kWh used, assuming you likely want electric for other things, gas is far more expensive that electric.

But to be frank the caver duel fuel boiler was good, being rather compact, and as you say you can shower with 10 litres, and it seems using on line calculators we are looking at 0.75 kWh to have a shower if using 10 litres.

So we are debating how best to use 50p worth of power, thank you @Harry Bloomfield for bringing us down to earth.

I must admit similar experience, and I suppose that is a real comparison gas to electric, a bottle of gas is around £30, and at 13.7 kWh per Kg and 7 kg in a bottle that's around 31.3p per KWh making gas more expensive that electric. And as in the main one pays a fixed fee for electric hook up rather than by the kWh used, assuming you likely want electric for other things, gas is far more expensive that electric.

A friends site in the NE, where I usually go, throws in the electric for no charge - it costs him nowt, from a bio-generator system. 16amp, use what you like. He used to be cheap, but over recent years he has massively increased what he charges. No facilities, just a field, a water tap, EHU and long walks for the dog off lead, which suites. Exceptionally, I have not had a trip out at all this year, home alone and even less fun would be - home alone in caravan :)

But to be frank the caver duel fuel boiler was good, being rather compact, and as you say you can shower with 10 litres, and it seems using on line calculators we are looking at 0.75 kWh to have a shower if using 10 litres.

Oh it doesn't use 10L just for a shower and don't forget it's mixed H&C to get it down to the right temperature. Judging by how far the level drops in the barrel, I would guess it as maybe 6 or 7L, taking into account both H&C. There is certainly enough hot left, for a second person to take a shower after the first. Running on just electric, it takes a while to recover the temperature. You can though run both the electric and gas water heating system, for a quicker recovery. Electric is rated 1Kw, gas I think 3Kw.

Or caravan died due to Colvid, storage was shut down no assess, and caravan leaked, and did too much damage to be worth repairing, however the Carver Cascade 2 arid Cascade 2 GE are storage water heaters with a 9 litre (2
gallon) or 6 litre (1-1/3 gallon) capacity, and as you say the 9 litre version had enough water for a shower, rated 605 - 660 watt depending on voltage and heated water to 70°C, it needed water forced in to get water out, and standard aqua role is 5 gallons, so no point being larger.

I accept one can use showers as shown in #19 which use massive amounts of water, but the idea is reduce cost on heating water, so we are looking at the smaller showers. And clearly we are looking at less than a £1 per shower even with increased electric costs, and the difference in cost is well under 50p, and a thermostatic shower mixer tap looking at around £100 without plumbing etc. So looking at over a year pay back time, by that time costs may have changed.

Or caravan died due to Colvid, storage was shut down no assess, and caravan leaked, and did too much damage to be worth repairing, however the Carver Cascade 2 arid Cascade 2 GE are storage water heaters with a 9 litre (2
gallon) or 6 litre (1-1/3 gallon) capacity, and as you say the 9 litre version had enough water for a shower, rated 605 - 660 watt depending on voltage and heated water to 70°C, it needed water forced in to get water out, and standard aqua role is 5 gallons, so no point being larger.

Thanks - I wasn't sure about the precise values and too lazy to check.

I actually use a Water Hog, which has larger capacity than the Aqua Roll - 50L.

...For me a shower is about 2 minutes...
Wow, you only spend 2 minutes in the shower?
This seems to be a fairly common reaction to the length of showers.

I have a cheap event timer showing how seconds a contact is closed for.

Adding a current switch (clamp) to our shower supply I've been able to acurately show the duration our shower is powered for.
1662251084589.png

My average time is 1 min 53 sec and Mrs Sunray 2min 22 sec or 4min 16 sec with hair wash.

However My daughter and her husband seem to take 10-15 minutes, or that's how long their noisey booster pump thumps away for.

My average time is 1 min 53 sec and Mrs Sunray 2min 22 sec or 4min 16 sec with hair wash.

I always wash my hair as part of having a shower. Part of the reason for a shower is speed. I have never been one for getting a wash in a wash basin, my only use for a wash basin is to wash my hands. If I need to get a wash, my go to is to take a practical, quick shower. Some days, particularly if I am in need of a shave, I take a bath - a bath is a much longer drawn out affair.

I always wash my hair as part of having a shower. Part of the reason for a shower is speed. I have never been one for getting a wash in a wash basin, my only use for a wash basin is to wash my hands. If I need to get a wash, my go to is to take a practical, quick shower. Some days, particularly if I am in need of a shave, I take a bath - a bath is a much longer drawn out affair.

I seldom used to bathe (showering instead), but as I get older, I find that the early morning bath helps with my achy back. Running a bath kinda coincides with my decision to make sure that I "get rid of" all food waste in my body in the morning before I leave the house. As I sit there, the bath fills.

Let's just say, that if I have had a particularly strong curry the night before, the bath will be cold by the time I get into it...

Other than having a pee, I have only used customers' or pubs' loos about 10 times in the last 10 years.

When I do shower, it is 7-10 minutes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back