Are gaps between ridge board and rafter normal, after shrinkage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I built a door canopy. Rafters sat flush on the ridge board when I built it. I screwed the rafters to the ridge board, only one screw. The bottom of the rafters have two larger screws to hold them in place. I’ve boarded the top now, ready for tiles.

I noticed the rafters at the top have a gap between ridge board. Only about 1mm. I assume due to wood shrinking. It means the screw is holding the whole force between rafter and board rather than the end of the rafter.

is it normal and ok? I assume it’s ok as wood expands and shrinks so guess it’s normal? I assume if the screw didn’t hold the rafter would just move back onto the ridge board.

Sponsored Links
Its a bit academic as a ridge is not a structural element as such -the weight of the roof means the rafter plump cuts push against the ridge.

did you pilot drill the rafters, or go straight in with the screws -if so the timber might have shrunk and the screws are holding it out.

I always drill pilot holes but not large enough for screws to slide through so they’re still screwed through the pilot holes. I do think the screws are holding it out. Just curious if it’s ok. I assume if the rafter did slip down the screw back into position it’s fine. I don’t think the screws do much other than hold it in place during assembly? The whole thing should work without screws is what I thought. So I’m hoping if a screw is holding it in place then fine, but if not then it just goes back on the rafter. Although now I’ve boarded it the boards are also going to be holding it place too.

Sponsored Links
No it's not normal as fixed joints don't shrink and should not open. But it's not really a big issue in this case as long as everything else is braced and it's not spreading.

BTW, always use two fixings as rafters do twist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back