Are long 10mm pipes to kitchen sink OK?

Sponsored Links
I have my own interest in one aspect of this which the OP seems to be forgetting.

The flow rate to the kitchen tap through 10mm copper tube may not reach his 6 li/min depending on the supply pressure.

Does anyone have figures on the flow rate that will flow through 10 mm copper of say 10m length at different pressures?

Tony

Approximately 0.5Bar pressure drop over 10m of 10mm table x copper tube at a flow rate of 6l/min. This would give a velocity of around 1.7m/s though. This is based on a water temperature of 10°C.

Edit: Excluding fittings.

James.

There are two saving graces on the flow rate.

Firstly 10mm pipe is very bandy so no fittings are needed, and also the kitchen in my case is in the basement.

However 10mm for a kitchen sink is marginal in a lot of cases, it is however good enough for a hand basin in a WC.

There are two saving graces on the flow rate.

Firstly 10mm pipe is very bandy so no fittings are needed, and also the kitchen in my case is in the basement.

However 10mm for a kitchen sink is marginal in a lot of cases, it is however good enough for a hand basin in a WC.

You seem confident that you'll be able to install 10m of 10mm without any fittings. Certainly doable though, I'm not saying it's impossible. Plus I'd have never thought that 10mm would be so workable. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

James.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that James.

In most of Europe they do use smaller tube for basins and sinks and in France 12 mm is the most common.

But I have quite a lot of 10 mm tube and like to use it for shorter runs where possible.

WC hand washing and cisterns then 10 mm is usually more than adequate but surprisingly little used here.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back