are my b & q mocha tiles good enough quality ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having had a price of around £25 p/m fitting costs from my tiler..i asked him what he thought of my b & q natural stone affect mocha tiles which were £311 for 26 packs ( 4 for 3 offer that w.e).. as my floor will cost me in excess of £1000 all in everything..he said b & q tiles are all "cheap likes" :confused: and reccomended i look at the place where he purchases frm at the last minute as fitting is due to commence! honest opinion frm him fair enough...to me the tiles look decent enough quality..but are they good enough ? the house im renovating im using as the nxt rung on the ladder maybe living init 3 yrs or so approx..so looking to hold its value and make money after the total updated modern refurb is complete... my question is to you pro tilers do i go for a higher end more expensive tile bearing in mind the bigger picture(if so what type should i be looking at) ... as i wouldnt want to lay lemonade tiles down at champagne fitting prices :confused: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
By “stone effect” I assume they are ceramic which is pretty standard stuff. They shouldn’t cause any problems but it depends on the quality of the tiles, difficult to say without looking at them. I’ve laid £10 sq/m DIY shed budget tiles lots of times which have also looked great without any problems & I’ve laid granite tiles @ £95 sq/m which look fantastic but have be a real pain.

Probably being cynical but if your tiler offers to supply or asks you to tell his regular outlet he sent you, he’s going to get a discount for sure & I doubt you’ll see any of it!

Fitting prices vary, anything between £15 - £45 depending on complexity of the job, who’s supplying the tiling materials & where he slots into the food chain so £25 sq/m is around middle range but who’s supplying the tiling materials? It’s important to use only quality trade products of the correct type for your tiles & tile base, cheap own brand & DIY shed stuff tends to be crap.

if they are ceramic and laid properly then they should be fine. They may well be c**p but thats likely to cause your tiler problems rather than issues later on. They may not cut nicely and may have some imperfections that need attention when choosing which ones to use for cuts.
If laid properly the actual tile needs little strength

B&Q grout and addy is crap but there tiles are ok mate laid plenty from there and wicks with no problems, the only problems i have had is with some floor tiles from the tile depot witch would not cut straight on my rubi ts plus but i think it was a bad batch just caused me loads of problems but were fine once down :cry:

Sponsored Links
these are the mocha tiles of a cream coulor..look nice enough to the eye & are 10mm thick..hes using mapei addy & microbar grey grout ? the tile shop he suggested is just where he recommends to people said i might get a discount if mention hes doing my floor..seems genuine guy as reffered by a good friend tbh,yes they are ceramic,..cheers 4 all valuable opinions :)

these are the mocha tiles of a cream coulor..look nice enough to the eye & are 10mm thick..hes using mapei addy & microbar grey grout ? the tile shop he suggested is just where he recommends to people said i might get a discount if mention hes doing my floor..seems genuine guy as reffered by a good friend tbh,yes they are ceramic,..cheers 4 all valuable opinions :)

Rich.....

Thats a bold statement ...IMO...re:tile fixer and discount!!!!

Most off us tile fixers work on recommendation,so in this climate passing on discount...now and in the past....is very good for business ....and I and 99% off the fixers I work alongside or sub out to....know it good practice....we only make money on addy/grout/sealer/etc....and that's not a lot!!... ;)

P.s. George

If your gut tells you,he is a good fixer and guy.....then go for it....sounds as if he s just telling ya....you can get better...... ;)

I have advised clients myself to steer clear off the sheds....usually get cheap imports from china....

But at the end off the day...you pick them...we fix them... ;)

Any good fixer can fix any tile...

ok cheers 4 usefull advice..kitchen diner completely tiled & the quality of them look fine & so much different/classier layed & grouted/cleaned than just in the packet...he used mapei keraflex grey addy s1 20kg bags 12 of for 30metres tiling...inc levelling up to 10mm in some parts £and has billed me £240 for the mats + bal grey grout ? does this sound about right for the coverage/depth etc cheers again richard c & co :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back