Argos? Aow Gord! ..part derr!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought furniture from Argos last year and put it on the "pay in six months " card thingy.
Came December and I was prepared for the statement telling me that I owed £899 and it was due. I sent a cheque in their return envelope.
A couple of days later I purchased goods at Argos, worth £42.52 pence, and I purchased them on my Argos card thinking I will pay when the statement came through.
Middle January the statement came - owed £42.52 - minimum payment nil.
A bit strapped, I thought I would let it ride to February.
Got my Argos statement in this week - owed £42.52 PLUS
£108.82 interest. Wow, that was totally unexpected.
I telephoned Argos Card and they explained that my cheque had reached them the day after my December purchase, and they covered that bill and, guess what, the remainder of my cheque was put towards the outstanding £899, leaving £42.52 of the original amount outstanding! therefore because that had been interest free for six months, they then slap the interest on that odd for the eight months, which it now is.
In controlled language I pointed out that having sent the cheque for the amount owing at the time it would be logical that the payment was that which was outstanding before my latest purchase.
Within a few minutes, they agreed to put the whole of that cheque I sent, toward the payment of the original debt, wow.
How many people just go and pay, now that is what I call "Shark tactics".

Sponsored Links
I think I read about this somewhere -- the advice was pay earlier than deadline -- otherwise be prepared to be screwed !! ;)
Once left £100 on a cred card, in attempt to calc the interest over a period -- managed eventually but not convinced, tis licence to print money !!
;)

pipme said:
I think I read about this somewhere -- the advice was pay earlier than deadline -- otherwise be prepared to be screwed !! ;)
Once left £100 on a cred card, in attempt to calc the interest over a period -- managed eventually but not convinced, tis licence to print money !!
;)
There you go, all those people up and down the country are merely working out what the interest will be ;)

Sponsored Links
That is the joke -- how many could work it out ? How many would feel stupid if put on the line -- 'You borrowed £x, what interest do you expect to pay ?'
I guess we wouldn't know ..... But we would kick up holy hell over short change in the corner shop !! ;)

Back