Ariston boiler problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

We have an ariston boiler running our central heating system. The heating works fine, it's just that we keep hearing the boiler ignite multiple times when it's on. It often will 'fire up' 2 or 3 times every couple of minutes, which seems odd to me - I would have thought that it would fire up once, and keep burning until the thermostat tells it to turn off? It can also make quite a noise when it fires up, sounds like the valve opening up and is quite loud at times.

Is this normal or is there something wrong with the boiler? I'm concerned that the continual ingition might cause a part to fail prematurely.

Thanks!
Bryan

Sponsored Links
It is not normal and seems to have a fault.

Oil or gas?

We are in the UK !

Tony

yeah I'm in New Zealand and it seems that the company that used to import these boilers no longer supports them so I am trying to find someone who can help here, but we don't even know if we can get parts.

I can understand that when the water in the heating system is up to temperature the burner would cut out, but I am surprised that it does so so regularly. I watched and timed it on friday evening, it was burning for around 30 seconds, then cutting out for around 30 seconds and repeating ("hysteresis"?). However this morning the loop seemed a little longer, say 45 seconds to a minute. All the time the radiators are hot so no complaints there.

Water pressure if fine and there are no error lights....

Sponsored Links
ignore water pressure... it is something DIY'er use as a proxy to knowledge.

Your issue is probably a faulty/loose temperature sensor or cr@p- in the system causing the boiler to short cycle.

Get an independent and trustworthy engineer in to check your system water and decided how much sh1te is sloshing around the boiler. if it is an Ariston that we in the UK are used to it probably ain't worth spending a lot on. But then I don't know how old it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back