Armoured cable into a CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I intend to put a sub main into my shed. I'm not sure how the armoured cable should be wired into the CU. Should the armour be conected to the MET or the earth terminal inside the CU? I know it should be on the rcd side of the CU and I know the importance of Part p and it will be checked by a competant leccy when finished.

Cheers who ever helps

Sponsored Links
I know it's not the most helpful reply but try searching this forum as ive seen the answer to this posted many times, helped me also, and although i could well give the answer, i'd rather someone qualified repeat it for you.

cheers.

you need to do some design work first to establish what cable size you need amongst other things. once youve bought the SWA you then need the glands, earth tags and shrouds.

if your using metal clad housings at both ends you can use the SWA armouring as a suitable earth. if your using plastic units then you should use 3 core SWA and use the 3rd core as your CPC.

you'll be able to find diagrams on the net regarding how to terminate SWA properly. but if you dont know / arent confident that you could do it right then id get a sparky into do it if i were you. the last thing you want is an unsafe system!

woko27 said:
Hi, I intend to put a sub main into my shed. I'm not sure how the armoured cable should be wired into the CU. Should the armour be conected to the MET or the earth terminal inside the CU?
Is it fulfilling the role of a cpc or a main equipotential bonding conductor?

If you have a TN-C-S supply, have you considered the issues around exporting the earth?

I know it should be on the rcd side of the CU
No, it shouldn't.

and I know the importance of Part p and it will be checked by a competant leccy when finished.
That will not make you compliant with Part P.

Sponsored Links
woko27 said:
[If you have a TN-C-S supply, have you considered the issues around exporting the earth?
could you explain this a little further please?
Good explanation here.

That will not make you compliant with Part P

I know, thats why it will be checked before its made live
If you install it without telling LABC in advance, then no amount of checking afterwards will make your actions compliant. Don't get me wrong - I'm not going to tell you that you must obey the law or else - I just don't want you to think that you will be complying with it with your plan, as you won't be.

The most recent version of my summary.
. .
. .
. .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back