Armoured cable question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new here so sorry if this has been covered.
I have buried a 3 core armoured cable to supply a CU in a stable 50 m away from the house. I am going to split the tails using a henly block. I will be using an earth rod at the stable end. Should I connect the earth core to anything or just leave it unconnected. And should I connect the armour at just the house end to the main earth terminal.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you are competant enough to be doing this?

Why use 3c SWA when you are moving it a local TT at the far end? What overcurrent protection are you providing at supply end? Have you notified LABC?

Podooser said:
Hi, new here so sorry if this has been covered.
I have buried a 3 core armoured cable to supply a CU in a stable 50 m away from the house.
This is quite a distance. What size Cable are you using? What do you need to power in the stable?

Podooser said:
I am going to split the tails using a henly block.
Then what?

Podooser said:
I will be using an earth rod at the stable end.
Wise if there are horses about.

Podooser said:
Should I connect the earth core to anything or just leave it unconnected.
Connect it at the house end, with the armour, to the house earth. At the stable end, terminate them, but in such a way that they remain seperate from the earthing system at the stable.

Sponsored Links
Remember as it is stables the install at that end will have to comply with the relevant regulations with regard to agricultural installs ;)

where do you get a 500mA rcd from?

if it's got a 100mA rcd because it's a TT system , then does it still need the 500mA?

does the 500mA go at the house end, or in the stables?

ricicle said:
Remember as it is stables the install at that end will have to comply with the relevant regulations with regard to agricultural installs ;)

Not that difficult, he is planning on making it a TT anyway, so if he goes for the standard S100ma/30ma board and keeps the electrode below 25/0.1 = 250ohm, and uses pvc conduit all round think that about covers it does it not? I'll have a quick scan of section 6 in a min though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back