Artistic skill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does it help being artistic when it comes to learning to plaster? I only ask because I am thinking of doing one of them short courses but I am not artistic at all. Will I be wasting my money and where is the best place in the North west to do a course? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
robitee said:
Does it help being artistic when it comes to learning to plaster?
It might :D but then again it might not :cry:

There’s no guarantee; how good you may become & how quickly it will happen depends largely if you have a natural ability & understand what’s going on; after that it take experience & even with that, some will never be able to achieve professional results!

as Richard says, it's more about practical skill and timing.

being deft with your hands and wrists, and knowing when best to trowel up or leave alone.

once learned though, it is fairly simple. you can only improve upon your time.

float coat or backing plasters or renders, do require more skill and patience than skimming boards. i do believe they can train chimps to skim walls.

just watching a skilled pro' floating or rendering is a pleasure. i learned 90% of my plastering skills by watching others and memorizing their techniques.

Sponsored Links
noseall said:
i do believe they can train chimps to skim walls.

i learned 90% of my plastering skills by watching others and memorizing their techniques.

noseall went to the zoo to learn! :LOL:

Thermo said:
noseall went to the zoo to learn! :LOL:

aye. :LOL:

there does exist two types of 'plasterer' though.

the one who can float (backing) or render, then the rest. ;)

i would say there are a few other types as well:-

those that can only skim a flat wall and cant cope with corners or going around rads/electric points, and those that can!

those that can do the job and leave the place spotless and those that leave more plaster everywhere else than on the walls regardless of how good the job is

those that can plaster making good jobs and those that cant (sadly more of the later than the former)

those that are really plasterers and those that call themselves plasterers

Please dont take offence guys this is not a dig at any of the pros that post on here. Its just based on my experiance with them and ones that i have employed on jobs. There are few that i would use again, but they are like gold dust!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back