Asbestos advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

As title suggests. Bit worried about these little boards potentially being asbestos. I’ve got upvc soffits as well and wary these may have asbestos underneath as there is definitely something behind it that’s grey and looks similar to those boards. Worried as I’ve drilled through one of the soffits.

Thanks all

7A13CC6E-1403-4BE4-995C-D2E788F141B7.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You can get someone to review it for you, but some one here with experience will probably give some advice

You can get someone to review it for you, but some one here with experience will probably give some advice
Thanks. I’ve sent off samples before but just want to assess likelihood for now.

Yes, there is a good chance that those boards are asbestos cement. There is also a good chance that the soffit board behind the upvc could be asbestos cement.

The likelihood that drilling a single hole in an asbestos cement board behind a upvc soffit will have done you any harm is miniscule, in any event it is too late now.

Sponsored Links
It’s more my dad was drilling the hole into the small roof space to run a cable. I was in the roof but it’s wether he actually made contact with a cement board that worried me.

This is more likely the less dangerous cement board rather than the aib board which is much worse?

I can't imagine why anyone would use AIB for a soffit. If the soffit contains asbestos then it is most likely to be asbestos cement. If your dad went through the soffit into the roof space then it is highly likely that he went through the asbestos cement board if one is present. Nothing can be done to improve the situation now, you can only be aware of it for future projects. Even getting a piece of board for testing will be difficult if it has been covered with upvc.

If your dad has disturbed some asbestos then it will be a tiny amount and he was outside in the fresh air. He would have made an effort to avoid breathing any dust that the drill created.

I can't imagine why anyone would use AIB for a soffit. If the soffit contains asbestos then it is most likely to be asbestos cement. If your dad went through the soffit into the roof space then it is highly likely that he went through the asbestos cement board if one is present. Nothing can be done to improve the situation now, you can only be aware of it for future projects. Even getting a piece of board for testing will be difficult if it has been covered with upvc.

If your dad has disturbed some asbestos then it will be a tiny amount and he was outside in the fresh air. He would have made an effort to avoid breathing any dust that the drill created.
Yeah I assume he’d be fine. It’s me being in the loft space at the time he was drilling into it that I’m worried about. As in, he’s drilling through the soffit into the eaves part of the loft space (so a small area). But I assume risk is still minimal given it’s cement board and one 8mm hole? It’s right at the edge of the soffit to run a cable behind.

Edit. Added a photo of another house a couple roads down from me. Think it was all built at the same time but could have been different builders. One of few that isn’t upvc now.

376F045F-C33A-4E21-A2E3-5A271C4781B6.jpeg

Last edited:
The risk in this case is negligible. Just be mindful when working on in the roofline in the future.

Give the drill bit a rinse.

I used to work for a company who fitted asbestos cement sheets to buildings before the dangers of asbestos were as well known as they are now. I have seen people cutting asbestos cement sheets with angle grinders with very little PPE. To the best of my knowledge those people are still alive 40 years later.

I am not advising anyone to take risks now, our knowledge of the dangers of asbestos has increased and all recommended safety precautions should be followed, but the chances of an 8mm hole through some possible asbestos cement having done you or your dad any harm are tiny. You are much more likely to breath in asbestos fibres which circulate in the environment from endless other sources during a normal day. There are thousands of tonnes of asbestos cement in the country, much of which is eroding away in the weather and blowing around in the wind. You cannot completely avoid it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back