Asbestos in plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was doing a job the other day removing some internal stud walls, plasterboard lined.

The board was standard knauf wall board, probaly put up 5 years ago, max.

Customers hired a standard skip, which I was throwing it in, bloke working in same place said. "you putting that plasterboard in the skip then?"

I said "yeah, why?" he said "skip companys now wont take it away, unless you arrange it with them first, it's becoming a nightmare to get rid of"

I said "that's odd, whys that then?" he said "it's got something to do with the fact that they still use 2 % asbestos in it"

Now im shocked by this and I find it hard to believe its true, I've had a look online and I can't find anything..

Anyone know anything about this?

Sponsored Links
We have had similar problems, the skip firms will only allow a very small amount, or you need to pay extra for a designated skip for plasterboard.

Strange that it origionally came out of the ground, only to be buried again.

We have had similar problems, the skip firms will only allow a very small amount, or you need to pay extra for a designated skip for plasterboard.

Strange that it origionally came out of the ground, only to be buried again.

Interesting..thanks for that.

Any thoughts on the asbestos thing?

There is no asbestos in plaster board and never has been

Here is why, from the EA

"We want to encourage businesses producing or dealing with gypsum waste, such as plasterboard, to recycle more of it.
From 1 April 2009, gypsum and plasterboard cannot be sent to landfill mixed with biodegradable waste. "

More bloody redtape

Sponsored Links
There is no asbestos in plaster board and never has been

Here is why, from the EA

"We want to encourage businesses producing or dealing with gypsum waste, such as plasterboard, to recycle more of it.
From 1 April 2009, gypsum and plasterboard cannot be sent to landfill mixed with biodegradable waste. "

More bloody redtape

Ok thanks, makes sense.

So I guess he was right but for the wrong reasons.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back