Asbestos soffit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a house that needs a bit of TLC. The barge boards are all rotting away and I would like to replace them.

I was looking at the original plans and it details on them that the barge boards are connected to "asbestos soffit" boards! What I need to do is take off the barge boards, but I dont want to expose the soffit.

Would I need to get experts in to replace them or can I do it myself. I dont particularly want the house cordoned off but I understand that its a common building material for this type of home and there are many houses that use the same asbestos soffit.

Any advice would be helpful thanks

Sponsored Links
A fairly competent person can remove fascia boards without touching the soffit board. Just push/take off the first few tiles and work down from the top, easing the fascia board off with a crow bar gently.

Its a little more difficult on a bargeboard (apex) You just have to gently tap the board outwards from the back and loosen it that way.

Just take your time and be gentle, you should be ok.

Obviously the politically correct answer would be to keep well away and spend a couple of K's getting the experts in. :rolleyes: :)

As long as the soffit board is not disturbed then you'll be ok :cool:

They`re asbestos/cement.......which is about 100 times safer than raw asbestos.......particularly if you don`t cut the sheets allowing fibres/cement dust to escape

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back