Assembling stair case.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am after your opinions please. I have just purchased a stair case from an online supplier. They have come flat pack ready for me to assemble. They are 13 risers with three kite winders at the bottom. I have read the brief instruction and looked online for any hints and tips and will speak to the manufacturer tomorrow.

I have just tried to dry fit them together before assembling with glue and found a few issues and would like people's opinion.

1. Wedges are to big, can't hammer them in much more than as per pic. Is this ok ,do I just trim them so I can fit the riser OR trim the wedge narrower so it fits further in.

37b8081cf087a2cd40151441be2c812e_zps76de4edf.jpg

2. Are there suppose to be long wedges supplied for kite winder riser?

cdf2355f6a0ff8c2af5afbcbe4faf71f_zpsb643452f.jpg

3. Probably the biggest problem, the treads don't fit into one side of the string. The treads are 22mm mdf but the slot is only 20mm. Could this be solved by routing out with 22mm straight cutter? Don't have one and that was the idea in buying the stairs so I didn't have to bother!

e33ce2825b99e7bf9463763f39201678_zps877455a7.jpg

I have also placed the string into place and the treads appear to be sloping down by approx 5mm. Not sure if that measuring mistake is mine or theirs. What is an allowable tolerance when fitting.

Would you accept these issues or how would you think would be best to resolve, taking into account the delivery cost was £50.

Any advice or opinions appreciated.

Regards

Jon

Sponsored Links
The Wedges are Ok
You should have longer wedges for the Kites/Winders
The stringer needs an equal amount removing from top and bottom around the nosing of the tread.

5 mm slope Which way ?????

If its a downhill slope pack out the bottom of the stringers until the treads are level.( By downhill I mean the tread slopes from back to front)
Measure the gap under the first tread and make your mind up if its acceptable .
If its an uphill slope you will need to lift the top of the stringer up until its level then measure how far above the floor it is. then make your mind up if its acceptable..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back