Astra Over heats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Girlfriends old 1.6L petrol astra (R reg 130000 miles) over heats in traffic. She has tried putting the heating on full to cool engine but the temp still rises. I have checked water level and radiator fans are cutting in. I was thinking thermostat not opening or pump not pumping. Can I check these (how) or any other ideas?

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
My Girlfriends old 1.6L petrol astra (R reg 130000 miles) over heats in traffic. She has tried putting the heating on full to cool engine but the temp still rises. I have checked water level and radiator fans are cutting in. I was thinking thermostat not opening or pump not pumping. Can I check these (how) or any other ideas?

Thankyou.
Is it using/losing any water?
A quick check is to take it to a garage, and have a sniff test done on the coolant, this will tell you if the head gasket is leaking.
Get your girlfriend to take it to the garage 'flutter her eyelids' she may get the test done for nothing.

Wotan

Could just be a block in the radiator. Check hoses to and from the radiator are both hot.

Sponsored Links
Not losing any water.
Will check flow and return hoses to rad are hot but as the temp switch in the rad is bringing the fans on I suspect they are.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Back