Attach Plasterboard to old Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new here and about to embark on my first big DIY project - redoing the bathroom!
I am wanting to put plasterboard over the old tiles in the bathroom and then I'll be re-tiling over it.
There is a small ledge of about 20mm halfway up the wall where the plasterboard will be able to rest against.
What is the best way to attach the plasterboard to the wall so that it will be fixed firmly enough to hold tiles or a large mirror?
The area being done is approximately 1800mm x 900mm.
Also, does the plasterboard need to be treated to ensure that it will be waterproof?
Any advice here would be great!

Thanks,
Mudbream

Sponsored Links
Ah sorry. The reason I want to put plasterboard first before tiling is that there is this ledge halfway up the wall. So the bottom half of the wall is about 20mm further out than the top half. I want the entire wall to be flat.
I have no idea why there is this ledge, but I don't want it, which is why I want to put plasterboard first as this, along with the tiles, should get the walls almost even.

So I will need to put up plasterboard first - unless someone has a better idea of how this should be done?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would use the dot n dab adhesive method, and when fixing the mirror make sure you use longer screw for the rawlplug in the back wall area so the mirror fixings is not hanging on the plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back