Attaching decking without seeing the screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to start building a hard wood deck in my garden and am wondering if it's possible to attach the boards without having to see the screws? I'm sure I have seen decks where no screws or nails show?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
There is a tool called the kreg decking jig, which allows you to produce the hidden screw effect .

Guys,

Been a long time since I posted this I know, but I'm about to start this decking. Firstly, does anyone know if you can hire a kreg decking jig. Don't really want to spend £80 for a once off job. Also do they take standard off the shelf screws or do these need to be bought from Kreg?

Will it work on the thinner hard woord boards or only larger/thicker boards?

Lastly is there another alternative to hidden screws? The decking clips do not look like a fun job?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Guys,

Been a long time since I posted this I know, but I'm about to start this decking. Firstly, does anyone know if you can hire a kreg decking jig. Don't really want to spend £80 for a once off job. Also do they take standard off the shelf screws or do these need to be bought from Kreg?

Will it work on the thinner hard woord boards or only larger/thicker boards?

Lastly is there another alternative to hidden screws? The decking clips do not look like a fun job?

Thanks

to be honest you will not even notice the screws they are part off the system
why try and go for a clear surface when algie and slime are more noticeable

Big-all,

Are you saying I won't notice the screws if I use the traditional method of screwing directly down on the boards? I was trying to avoid this and the kreg system looks to be the best option for may shape and size of deck. Just can't justify the spend of buying one.

May end up having to use exposed screws.

With that kreg jig and suchlike, I'd be concerned of the boards splitting at the fixing due to the angled and close-to-edge fixing, and the fact the boards can contract by a good 10mm over the seasons.

Spax do some very narrow headed screws which could sit in the deck grooves unobtrusively, or look OK on flush boards

But what is wrong with deck clips? They are just as easy as screws

Big-all,

Are you saying I won't notice the screws if I use the traditional method of screwing directly down on the boards? I was trying to avoid this and the kreg system looks to be the best option for may shape and size of deck. Just can't justify the spend of buying one.

i am just saying the screws will just blend into the pattern you will still see them in the same way you see the telegraph poles and blank them out

Big-all,

i am just saying the screws will just blend into the pattern you will still see them in the same way you see the telegraph poles and blank them out

What telegraph poles?

Big-all,

What telegraph poles?

see works already :D ;)

:p

Thanks guyys.. stainless steel with square head drive is what I'll do. Def no telepgraph poles in my decking ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back