auto air vent required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Guy installed full system to my bungalow last week, combi and 10 rads. nice tidy job, 22mm flow and return running around the loft, teeing off down walls to rads in 10mm pipe (chased in). all done in barrier pipe. Been up there today and can't see any bleed/air vents anywhere - going to call him tomorrow for clarification, but recall auto air vents were necessary in the system when living in a different bungalow some years back. Should there be an auto air vent in this set up? if so, just one? or one for flow side and one for return side?

just want to be sure i don't get fobbed off tomorrow - to be forearmed, and all that...

many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It seems you did not make a big effort to find a good installer.

???

i called 3 guys on the gas safe register who live in my local area, he was the only one who turned up to view the job. anyway, how am i to know if someone is a 'good installer' - i can only see the work once it has been completed!

has the guy made a mistake with my system? (the rads are all nice and hot)

Sponsored Links
has the guy made a mistake with my system? (the rads are all nice and hot)[/quote]

wtf are you moaning at then?

why would you need aav on a combi boiler ?

If the system is working ok whats the problem ?

i despair at this forum sometimes.

is it not good practice to install air vents on the highest pipework.

i called 3 guys on the gas safe register who live in my local area, he was the only one who turned up to view the job. anyway, how am i to know if someone is a 'good installer' - i can only see the work once it has been completed!

Personally, I do a bit more research than 3 phonecalls before I give somebody several thousand quid. And I certainly would not rely on 3 random adds, but ask people I trust for recommendations.

has the guy made a mistake with my system? (the rads are all nice and hot)
The fact that you are on this forum, indicates that you do not trust the installer. That in turn would indicate that my assessment about your research was correct.

If the boiler is the highest point in the system, and has an AAV incorporated, you should not need any more. Maybe not best practise, but thats all it is. AAV's have a tendancy to leak - if you insist on more air vents, have manual ones.

Mr. W.

One would assume there is water board recommended lagging in the roof space, the thick stuff with WB identification on side. Air vents should be lagged as well as pipes and may be hidden.

Leaving instructions where to find them if hidden is good practice, if not readily seen I.e.; longs stalks.

Give the guy a chance, if you say the job is neat then he has hopefully pride in his work.

bengasman";p="1901095 said:

"And I certainly would not rely on 3 random adds, but ask people I trust for recommendations".

WTF??? He said he checked the gas safe register, hardly what I would call 3 Random Ads (note 1 d in Ads!)
I'm sure he didn't mean to cause you offence BGM & Stamina! He was just asking! :confused: Jeez!

combi will most likely have an aav fitted. as above aav's have a tendency to leak of debris catches under the float/seating. if system has filled okay and not air locked then great.
usually less of a problem on sealed systems than open vented, however that doesn't mean that having no air vents may not give you a headache in the future of you have to drain down for any reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back