Bad ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing up my spare room and have stripped all wallpaper. The ceiling was covered in a think polystyrene type paper and painted orange. Underneath the ceiling seems to be in bad condition. There are a couple of areas with nasty looking spores on them and a couple of nice big cracks.

Any idea how I can get this looking nice? I don't like the idea of papering ceilings but if there are any decent products on the market that can easily disguise the cracks and look flat I will give them a go. If I clean the ceiling (to get rid of spores) then put up lining paper followed by thick plain wallpaper then use a tin of that base coat for ceilings stuff, should I get a decent result?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
mmcmahon said:
....think polystyrene type paper and painted orange. Underneath the ceiling seems to be in bad condition. There are a couple of areas with nasty looking spores on them and a couple of nice big cracks.

Polystyrene could have prevented the ceiling from breathing and a build up of condensation....personally I would treat the spores with a fungicidal wash...plasterboard over the entire ceiling and cove around the edges for the best finish.

mmcmahon said:
Any idea how I can get this looking nice? I don't like the idea of papering ceilings but if there are any decent products on the market that can easily disguise the cracks and look flat I will give them a go.
Put Gyproc Thistle Protape FT50 over the cracks then use Gyproc Easi-Fill.My next door neighbour just done this before I offered to put plasterboards up so he thought he try using the materials above first.I was amazed at the finish,so he paint it over instead and very easy to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back