Badly installed Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I've just bought a new house. The bath for some reason is sited quite high off the floor, and a new shower had been put in close to floor level. There is access to the trap, but the floor boards had been cut away to make room for it.

When we first moved in the shower had almost no seal round the tray and leaked badly.

All the plumbing is behind boxing and the shower itself which makes access difficult. I have peeked in with a torch to try and see whats going on. The shower waste looks to be tee-d onto the bath waste.

When the bath drains, the shower tray fills up and overflows. :(

We've just had the whole bathroom re-tiled but the plumber failed to spot this problem. Rather than ripping the shower out and raising it, could a HepVo trap be fitted?

I'm concerned that the pressure of draining a full bath could invert the HepVo seal, and prove to be a waste (heh) of time and money. How much water pressure can these valves take??

Sponsored Links
If its a new house it MUST be under warranty !!!
Sorry I wasn't clear - its new to me... 1980's ex council.

Previous owner installed the shower to try and push up the sale value. We later found out from the tennants that had been renting the place that the shower had never been useable, as it flooded the kitchen (downstairs) the first time.

Sponsored Links
Last question...

Will it be easy to persuade a plumber to use one of these? I'm sure he doesn't want to spend the time ripping out the shower and building a new base.

If he's not keen or hasn't heard of them, should I ditch him and a) try the job myself or b) find someone else?

How do I pronounce/describe HepVo ? :oops: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back