Balancing a sash window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is it possible to rebalance a top sash with out removing the staff and parting beads? The top sash has a gap of about 20mm and is currently painted shut. It is extremely draughty and is currently stuff with old socks!!! I can see the outline of the weight pockets so thought I should be able to get to them without removing the sashes and add some more weights

I am a bit worried that if I free the window up it will drop, any idea why it would be painted shut with such a big gap.

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sash cord probably broke anyway. If so then you'll have to remove the frame to replace the cords, at which point the window will close properly once again.

Why paint it like that? Who knows?

laziness thats why.

think your going to have to remove the beading's etc to get to the weights/cords.

think your going to have to remove the beading's etc to get to the weights/cords.
If the cords aren't broken then it should be possible to add some extra weight by removing the sash pockets. There should be two sash pockets down at the bottom of each pulley stile, one for the top sash weight, the other for the bottom one. Best "trimmer" I've found is to wrap some lead strip (flashing) around the cord just above the weight. As Gregers says, though, if the cords are broken or badly damaged in any way then the sashes will need to come out and the parting and staff beads will need to be replaced at that time. If you do have them out remember to rub the edges of the sashes with a wax candle before hey go back in - makes them run smoother. You can get beads with grooves to carrry weatherpile from firms like Reddiseals

Sponsored Links
Sliding sash windows are one of those jobs that if you restore them properly will give you a real "buzz". Did some in my last house replacing the cracked glass with laminated safety glass and went to a scrap metal merchant to get an array of new weights which we adjusted to perfect by creating a cast and melting some old lead flashing into.

Thanks lets hope the cords aren't broken then I won't have to take the whole lot apart.

If when I free the window from the paint and it turns out a cord is broken will the window just drop and if so is there a way to keep it up. I'm a bit nervous of freeing them from the paint work!

yes it will drop like a stone if theres no resistance

a bit off timber lent under one side to hold it up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back