Balancing CH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been stated in another post that TRV's perform better on the return end of the radiator. I would have thought that from the point of view of balancing the system that it would be preferable to stick with lockshields on the return or is this another advance in CH design that appears to have passed me by. Does anyone want to put me right on this ?

Sponsored Links
What was the reason given in the "other post" for the belief that they perform better on the return end?

It was Tony, reason is the valve is less affceted by transferred heat from pipework and rad on two counts, because it is on it's side (if directional) so head is further from rad, and 2 because the pipework is cooler on the return.

But Tony said the hoover would muller it more easily.

Better get that in before someone sues for 10 mill because I didn;t warn them of every eventuality.

Sponsored Links
Paul Barker said:
It was Tony, reason is the valve is less affceted by transferred heat from pipework and rad on two counts, because it is on it's side (if directional) so head is further from rad, and 2 because the pipework is cooler on the return.

But Tony said the hoover would muller it more easily.
Paul, I don't get these reasons.

1. Directional valves
If a TRV is not of the reversible type, then it has to go on the flow end, by design. So I guess you must mean something else, but I can't work out what. I especially don't know what you mean by "because it is on it's side".

2. Transferred heat.
Clearly I'm not going to disagree that the return end is cooler then the flow end, but I don't see how this equates to better performance of the valve. The air around the TRV head will indeed be hotter on the flow end, and this will make a standard TRV shut down at a cooler overall room temperature, that just means that it gets turned up 1/4 a notch, or whatever, not that the performance is different.

If the manufacturer has designed the valve to be reversible, then that's what it is. I admit it's a long time since I read the instructions that comes with a TRV4, for example, but do they indicate that the valve will perform better on the return? If so, I wonder why they ever made the non-reversible ones to go on the flow instead?

Regarding the hoovering, I thought I knew what the words "hoover" and "muller" meant, colloquially, but I guess I was wrong - what is this all about?

Paul Barker said:
Better get that in before someone sues for 10 mill because I didn;t warn them of every eventuality.
Hmm. Perhaps there should be a disclaimer in the membership terms.

Quite so, but I always thought that this was because of the position of the air holes. Whereas on a TRV4, for example, there are no visible holes, and on a Drayton Lifestyle, for another example, there are flutes that are rather large and air admittance points at the base of the head.

In any case, any reversible angled TRV can be horizontally mounted on the flow end, so there's still an unanswered question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back