Balmoral 55F PCB Fuse Blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil)

My Boiler is a Barlo Balmoral 55F, which is a gas boiler.

2) What is / is not happening.

When i turn on the boiler it all fires up as normal and seems to be working fine but then after about 5 minutes the fuse on the PCB pops and the boiler dies completely.

3) Has ANYTHING else been done or changed recently.

I rang a local heating engineer and they came and had a look at the boiler, they opened it up and replaced the fuse and then turned it all on again. They couldn't identify the problem but they said it looked as if the PCB was arcing across the board.

They got on the phone and called a local supplier and found someone that supplied a PCB and said that they could get it for me and fit it for about £150-200. So i went online and found the part for £23 and fitted it myself. But with the new PCB it still seems to be the same problem. I am not sure if the PCB is arcing but there is definatley some flashes on it, which might be normal. Basically i am a bit stuck now, from what i can find on the internet, (mainly on this site) the problem might lie in the pump.

Is this pump one that is outside of the boiler? Can i find the fault and fix it? Will it definately be this? I guess getting a new boiler fitted won't fix this problem if it is the pump.

4) When did the problem start?

Its been like tyhis now since the big freeze started just before Christmas

5) When does it happen? eg, heating coming on or going off.

As mentioned when the heating is turned on from everything being turned off

6) Anything else you feel may be of relevance.

Can't think of anything else that might help but i can answer any questions that might help.

Thanks
Matthew

Sponsored Links
I have been told that i can disconnect the fan and turn it on again to see if the fuse blows and then if that still makes it blow then i can try the pump. Does this sound about right?

I don't seem to have got any kind of response from anyone on the forum, so anything would be very welcome.

Thanks

Hi there,
I see you have the above boiler - which we also do.
On ours the pilot light seems to have gone out - any ideas?
many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Try turning the heating on but turn the boiler stat to off, if the fuse still blows it could well be the pump, if it doesnt blow for 10mins turn boiler stat up to see if it's something in the boiler, if it is then you will need a RGI

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back