Bamboo for screening - containers if possible

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some kind of screen - it will have to be 10-12 ft high and will block out the sun for most of the day....so it would be really great if I could move it ...
Thinking Bamboo in containers that maybe I can move...
Whole garden needs sorting out (changing multiple levels to two etc, patio needs to be dropped below damp proofing etc) ) - too big a job for me so I'll have to get someone in -whilst I am getting round to it I thought I should start the bamboo growing... any recomendations for species, container sizes - feasiblilty of moving them around etc etc, Don't want to spend too much (suspect they will be vandalised see below for reason)

The reason for this - I have a NFH one of the things he has done is several years ago built a raised decking on his already levelled garden less than 50 cm from the boundary. At the time he didn't need planning - but it did fall foul of building control...however I didn't want to make too much of a fuss (didn't realise just what was to come! - I would say if a neighbour you don't know does something so inconsiderate to you - do something about it straight away - avoiding the conflict just means they will do more and more and more until you eventually have to do something and then if anything it will be worse!) This is less than a metre from my kitchen window and my 6ft fence became thigh high (we are on a slope anyway). Not only can he see into my kitchen but there isn't one part of my garden that he can't see in (and he did used to stand on his deck leaning on the rail -enjoying in the 'view' - I was sitting in the kitchen reading and looked up to find him staring at me through a gap in the blind - later he accused me of 'skulking' behind them!) The reason for the decking was so he could enjoy the view more (previous owner of our house put up 6 ft fence - meant if he was sitting right next to it he couldn't see it anymore :rolleyes:). I have tried to compromise but got nowhere -I would happily leave a gap a metre or so from the house -but this would mean he would lose some privacy from the houses at the end of the garden and his view wouldn't be perfect! I have been trying to let an elder to grow across for some privacy but he chops it back (yes over my boundary). Things have got worse (not just this) and now the police have been involved... :(
Movable would be great for when he is away or I was away or didn't want to use the garden....let the sun in and maybe make him a bit happier (think past that now -but you never know!)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back