Banging boiler noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier in the week my bolier made the most frightful banging noise when it started up which reverberated along the pipes. I turned it off and called the people I have a boiler service contract with. I turned it on a couple of times whist waiting for them to come out and it was still making the awful noise. The chap turned up within 3 hrs and when he turned it on no noise. Typical!! However he said it was because the hot water was not getting away from the boiler quick enough and had built up a steam and air lock in the pipes? He altered the dial on the pump to no 3 as it was on no 1 and said that would make it flow quicker. All was well until 5 days later(today) in the afternoon when boiler came on and there was the awful banging/crashing noise again. It is really frightening, makes me nervous and feels as if the house it going to blow up and. I called the
boiler service people again and am waiting for them to call back. In the meantime I have turned the boiler on again and it is ok. Anyone any ideas as am now not sure whether I should leave the boiler to come on whilst I am not here. I work full time and usually have it come on an hour before I get home so it is all warmed up. not sure what would happen if it came on maing the awful noise & I wasn't here to turn it off. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
My guess is (and it's only a guess) that the pump is playing up. When it works it's fine, when it doesn't it 'kettles'.

Thanks but when the chap came out on Monday to check it he said the pump was ok and in good working order

well it does sound like you have a flow problem somewhere along the line either the pump is sticking or you have a motorised valve fault

Sponsored Links
A pump doesn't just either work or not work. You can have an intermittent fault that may be there one day and not the next. Just like a car can have a misfire one minute and not the next. So what was his prognosis then? That you imagined the whole thing?

He didn't say I was imagining it only that the hot water was not getting away fast enough from the boiler and changed the dial on th epump from no 1 to 3. I did say that it happened when the boiler started up so there hadn't been time for any hot water steam to build up. Not technical myself so don't really now what he was on about. Called them yesterday at 4pm and still waiting for a call back. Got it going yesterday evening after starting, stoping & starting it a few times. It came on this morning ok although an hour or so previously there was a loud bang from somwhere! Think you are right and it may be the pump as it is getting v hot and a funny tinly noise coming form it. Will see what they say if/when they turn up. In meantime cannot have it set to come on whilst I am not here as goodness nows what will happen. Any more advice from anyone appreciated.

my boiler is a Glow-worm Fuelsaver F.
Old I know but it was working ok.
Came on this morning at set time & seemed ok. Went off as set & I went out. Came back & turned it on at 2pm - banging & clanking & then cut out. Turned up temperature of water up & came on but then cut out again.eep trying it every so often but still maing noise & cutting out.

It sounds as if there may be a lack of water in the system.

Get him to check that if he has not yet.

In spite of Joe-90, pumps do sometimes stick and fail to start on intermittent occasions.

Tony

Thanks for all the advice.
Someone has been and said it is the pump thta has totally jammes. They didn't have one on them so will have to come back in the week. Good & bad news as tonight is meant to be v cold again but at least I know what it is now.
Regards to all & keep up the good work and on this forum.

I realise it's been intermittent, but who do you have your boiler contract with?

A week and 3 visits to diagnose and repair a simple pump fault?

A pump doesn't just either work or not work. You can have an intermittent fault that may be there one day and not the next. Just like a car can have a misfire one minute and not the next. So what was his prognosis then? That you imagined the whole thing?

Sorry Joe completely wrong again yes pumps can and do stick intermittently on occasion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back