Banging pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently removed a radiator so that the room can be decorated. Throughout having this radiator off the heating system has still been functioning but the pipes seemed to have started banging. I have now put the radiator back on but the banging is still there and wakes my kids up in the morning. This banging occurs all the time when the heating is on and not just when it is firing up. I have no leaks and the pressure in the system seems ok? Is it worth bleeding and repressuring the whole system as I have removed a radiator?

Sponsored Links
If it's a sealed system did you top up the pressure after you replaced the radiator?

No, I shut off the water using the radiator valves and then covered them with end caps. I've now put the radiator back on and bled the individual rads but still the banging. Would too much pressure cause the banging as I've notice the pressure on my boiler is up around 2.5 instead of 1.5??

No, I shut off the water using the radiator valves and then covered them with end caps. I've now put the radiator back on and bled the individual rads but still the banging. Would too much pressure cause the banging as I've notice the pressure on my boiler is up around 2.5 instead of 1.5??

Bleed it down to 1.5 and see if this cures it.

Sponsored Links
Bled it which didn't cure it. It only seems to be a pipe that runs underneath my daughter's room which is the room I removed and replaced the radiator in. It doesn't do it all the time but enough to disturb sleep. Is there any possibility the pipe is loose in its connection under the floorboards? I've not touched the pipes, just removed the rad?? :?:

Yes I have TRV's and they are all fully open given the inclement weather. I think the only solution is to completely drain the whole system and re-pressurise it to see what happens then??

If that does not work, up with a few floor boards and secure the pipe.

I now have a new symptom. After bleeding and repressuring my system I set it to 1.5 bar. I've noticed that when the system is off the pressure gauge falls, sometimes to zero as though its lost all of its pressure. I've checked all of the rads and there are no leaks anywhere and the system still works and fires up normally. When it fires up the guage eventually goes back up but never back to 1.5, normally hovering between 1 and 1.5. Is there another fault I need to look for?

Top the system back up to around 1 -1.5 bar cold.

Turn on the heating and watch the pressure gauge until the system gets hot, post back with what happens and the maximum reading on the gauge you get.

Once the heating started the guage went up to just below 3 bar but then lowered slightly. I looked at it this morning when the heating had just fired up and it was showing 1.5 bar. As I said, no leaks that I can track down and I've had no leaks on the system before. Still also getting the banging pipes but not as bad as before although its clearly linked with the rad being removed as the pipes that now bang are the ones that run to the room where the rad was removed. :?:

The expansion vessel is failed or needs repressurising.

Look at the FAQ on this site and repressurise as described apart from the 10 litre bit which should be ignored.

Tony

The heating came on tonight as timed and is running at a steady 1.5 bar so far? Going to monitor for a few days before I start searching for pressure valves etc?

It now seems to holding at a steady 1.5 bar although I still have the banging pipes? Suppose I can't have everything can I?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back