Banging/tilted manhole cover noisy nuisance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi members

There is a loose/tilted manhole cover outside our house on a busy road and it's continually making a loud banging when cars drive over it (pretty much all day). I have reported to the council but they say all they can do is request the contractor who fitted it to repair it.

I am getting nowhere - just radio silence.

Any tips on what I can do to fix it? I was thinking throw some cold tarmac down over the edges but suspect this would eventually break away!

Sponsored Links
Try an old fashioned, metal hammer-handle wedge and bang it in with a lump hammer. It's what I've always thought I'd do.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried fixmystreet ? It's worked for me although it can take months as it's passed around the utilities. Could you get all the neighbours to report it too.

Try a metal wedge :whistle:, mate had this problem and he was going to lift the cover and squirt several tubes of mastic around it in the dead of night, council fixed it before he got chance

Tell the council that the manhole is actually lifting slightly as cars drive over it. Say you are concerned it may fly up and cause a major accident.
Once informed of a potential danger, they are obliged to investigate.

I used to drive past a similar one on my way to work. Reported it to local council and a week later nothing had happened. I phoned again and said a cyclist ahead of me,(there wasn't), had swerved to avoid it and narrowly missed being hit by my car, (as he didn't exist this was a fabrication), as I was about to pass him.
That night on the way home the workers were just packing their gear away after repairing it.

The cover will be the responsibility of the utility service that owns it - water company if it's a sewer. Contact them.

Alternatively (or in the same email as above), contact the council's environmental health dept rather than highways dept and allege statutory nuisance from the noise.

I know tree fellas with a transit tipper who can remove that for you, no questions asked.

wait until the small hours and fill the gap around it with expanding foam. then sit in your window and laugh.:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back