Barn! Please help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need help building a barn!! 10.8m x 30.5m

The ground is clay, What is the best way to dig the base?
1. Excavate 11 inches and then put down 6 inches hardcore and then 6 inches concrete. steel strengthend. or
2. Dig 6 inches down all over. then dig to a depth of 600mm on the external walls. was told that this could be filled with concrete which has stone mixed in already so minus the hardcore!

What is the best and most economical??

I wanted the walls to be made out of blocks. what types of block would be best as they need to be strong as they may have animals knocking them. to strengthen the external wall there are partitions which can be interlocked into the external wall to strengthen.

with regards to the roof what would be the best way to do it using steel corrugated sheets.

Thank you for any help!! I really need it!!

Sponsored Links
Last one we did was 36m x 17m x 7m.
Steel rsj portal frame with cement fibre roof on 9" x 3" purloins.

Then 3.3m peri shuttered walls. We never entertain blocks as they are weak, porous , need plastering and fall down easily.
Normal is 4.8m bays with 5"x 3"s purloins and 6x3" wall plate and side sheeting about 1.2m.
Go for argiculture grade coated corrugated sheeting or you'll be replacing it in about 10 years or less.

Despite this being just a "barn", it's still a significant structural undertaking and not something you can just do after asking three questions on a forum

The ground conditions, type of structure and loading will affect your foundation depth- So its not just a small trench and hoping for the best

You can use concrete blocks, but exposure, and aesthetics will play apart in the choice

You can use corrugated sheets, but please remember than these do not stay up in the air of their own accord. And unless you want this barn flying across the field in the first winter storm, then give some thought the structural frame

Sponsored Links
I have got planning permission for a barn to house horses. It can be made of blocks. Which could be used for each 12 x12 stable. Which type of blocks would be good to use. Ones that are strong.

When laying the footings for blocks. What is the best depth to go to

Theres many designs for stables.
But a good way to do this is build it as a general purpose shed. Complete the floor in one piece power floated and then build the stable partitions on top or buy purpose made kits.
Either way they can be removed later if some one wants and the building can be used for other purposes.
You don't say what your budget is but I'd guesstimate around £25k given the dimensions you've stated plus the stable partitions after that.

When laying the footings for blocks. What is the best depth to go to

You have not grasped it have you? :rolleyes:

Best depth for footings? Well one school of thought is that the best depth is that which requires the least digging out, thus saving time, materials and expense.

Another school of thought is that the best depth is one which is deep enough to take the loading in context of the local ground conditions.

Take your pick

I am not a builderl, but it seems to me that with so many different options and you posing so many fundamental questions

The ground is clay, What is the best way to dig the base?

with regards to the roof what would be the best way to do it using steel corrugated sheets

Which type of blocks would be good to use. Ones that are strong.

on all aspects of a major construction, that you really need a professional to design this for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back