Base coat onto brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Apologies for slight overlap with Squowse' post, but didn't want to hijack their post!

I've been using Bonding to patch up some areas of dodgy plaster by taking back to blockwork in some places.
Results have been good with prior application of PVA/water mix first, then Bonding on top (after leaving a bit for PVA mix to dry a bit).

I've now got to patch an area with about 4 square foot but now onto brickwork. :confused:

Bricks are not new,but not very old - same age as house (late 60s).

I'm unsure whether to use Bonding with PVA mix (as previous), or whether I should be using a different plaster (e.g. Browning or Hardwall).

From reading the B/G site, I've summarised:

Bonding - good on low suction bgrds - e.g. some brickwork, blockwork or concrete, P/B, expanded metal lath or surfaces treated with bonding agents
Browning - good on moderate suction bgrds - blockwork, some brick with a good key etc.
Hardwall - for use on most masonry - good performance for impact & efflorescence.

So according to this, would Bonding still be ok (as surface treated) ?

Also, my experience of the old blockwork I have, is with using no PVA, the suction is severe and leaves bonding cracked and even loses adhesion in some cases. :eek:
Out of interest, what type of background is considered medium or high?

Thanks for any replies as always.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back